Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cat Converter, Which one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat Converter, Which one of these?

99' S15 Jimmy 4x4, 4dr. Non CA. For the past 1800 miles I can hear rattling from inside the cat converter. Then today under acceleration I hear a dull whistling noise coming from the converter area that gets louder with acceleration. I'm guessing the brick inside the converter has broken up and is blocking flow. Power is down past 3000 rpm. I figure I need a new converter.
Which one of these is best for my non Calif. truck....
http://www.bestinauto.com/Magnaflow-...ll-Length.aspx
or
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/CatalyticCo...CD00205/381458
has no heat shield.
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EASTE...61010010r24774
Anyone have any idea how many laborhours to R&R direct replacement calls for?

Thanks For Your time
Angelo

Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cat Converter, Which one of these?

The lower two links are for a direct fit which you could do in your driveway. Just make sure you have new bolts and the proper gaskets (if it does not come with them). The first link does not work.

I would be a bit skeptical on the eBay one as it is way too cheap to be of good quality. Probably not stainless steel like the one offered from 1AAuto.

Check out SummitRacing.com and other retailers (both online and local) like NAPA, Autozone, and Advanced Auto for their direct fit and universal catalytic converters.

Places like Monroe Muffler assess things like this for free, giving you an estimate of the repair. I would tell them about the noise and that you suspect the cat. They should run an exhaust back pressure test by removing a pre-cat O2 sensor. This should be a free test as it confirms to them (and you) that the catalytic converter is at fault for them to draw up their estimate.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cat Converter, Which one of these?

Great info swartlkk.

Looks like these bolt to the front of the muffler and have the after cat O2 sensor mount.