Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust Advice!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Flip01002003 is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Advice!?!?

Soooooooo... I'm sure there are a billion threads like this already, but I don't want to go through the entire list to find one.

I drive a 1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4dr 4x4.

My exhaust sounds like complete garbage so I am looking to get a whole new exhaust system. (not the manifolds though)

I want something that sounds deep and good, BUT NOT TUNER-ISH. (if you catch my drift)

I need some advice. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this either. I'm looking for something on the cheaper side, but will sound good.

PLEEEASE help me. I don't know where to begin with this one.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

Flowmasters............i was quoted about 250 at my local shop for all new pipes, flowmaster 40 muffler, and 2.5" pipes.......thats for a single out

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about

I've had a flowsound, flowmaster 40, and a 1 chamber flow.

The flowsound sounds good at idle and while in low rpm range, but when you get on it full throttle, it sounds like a diesel.

flowmaster 40 sounds good at idle too and while in low rpm range. Again, when you step on it, it tends to go away from nice truck sound to more of a diesel sound.

1 chamber sounds good at idle with a little deeper sound and with slightly more noise. I prefer the 1 chamber as that is what I have on the blaze right now. Even though it says the 1 chamber is off-road only, it is not like it sounds like a race cammed truck or anything. It is only slightly louder in noise and just a tad deeper in tone in my opinion.

It all depends on your price range as to what you get. The flowsound is cheaper than the rest and the flow 40 and 1 chamber are about the same in price.

Here is what I would do. Go to summit racing's website and order a muffler for 30 to 40 bucks(idk how much shipping is) and have a shop put it on with 2 1/2 inch piping for single exhaust or 2 1/4 inch piping for duals. Flowmaster's are a little overpriced as I see it.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

I like turbo mufflers on V6's. I know it's not a 4.3 but I just put a Summit Turbo on a 95 Accord V6. Honda's have thin crappy piping and it all rusted out so I put on new pipe and ended with that turbo muffler. Also at the time I removed all the intake ducting in front of the stock airbox. Now it has a great sound. It may be a combo of all three, the muffler the intake and no resonator but now it's very quiet cruising but when you accelerate it has a faint sound, and above 3000 it has a nice V6 growl to it, kinda smooth like a 350Z or Supra. On a 4.3 I imagine it'd sound even deeper, closer to a V8. I've tried Flowmasters and while they sound good down low, when you hit the gas they sound too raspy and high.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Flip01002003 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll look more in depth on each of those.

I do have another question though...

What if I said I wanted to bypass the cat completely? Will that effect the sound to a point where it would sound like trash? What size piping should I get put in then for the rest of the exhause? ANDDDD ***What can I get to bypass the O2 sensor behind the cat????*** I heard there is something I can buy and plug into the O2 sensor that will tell the computer what it wants to hear so my truck wont run like garbage.

HELP.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by Flip01002003
I do have another question though...

What if I said I wanted to bypass the cat completely? Will that effect the sound to a point where it would sound like trash?

***What can I get to bypass the O2 sensor behind the cat????***

I heard there is something I can buy and plug into the O2 sensor that will tell the computer what it wants to hear so my truck wont run like garbage.

HELP.
I'd like to know too since my exhaust just crack in 1/2 on the way into work tonight.

How much will eliminating the converter effect the sound level ?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Beginning Member
goldenboy88 is on a distinguished road

Cat-delete O2 Sensor Quick Fix (to eliminate CEL)

Easiest way is using a spark plug fouler IMO.
As far as sound it'll sound louder, you may get a back fire or two every now and then but with the compression the engine puts out you should be fine. Search youtube for something like "4.3 no cat" to get a better idea of the sound before you go through the work.