Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Muffler, Straight Pipes, or Glass Packes???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:41 PM
cwiththehad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Muffler, Straight Pipes, or Glass Packes???

I have a 2001 ZR-2 blazer and im not sure what would sound better an after market muffler, straignt pipes, or glass packs?? What brands are the best for the buck?

Old 11-23-2006, 05:20 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Muffler, Straight Pipes, or Glass Packes???

ORIGINAL: cwiththehad

I have a 2001 ZR-2 blazer and im not sure what would sound better an after market muffler, straignt pipes, or glass packs?? What brands are the best for the buck?
After market will sound better than any of the choices listed here, it is just a matter of your preference. Magnaflow, FlowMaster and Hooker use modified chamber technology to get the sound you hear. Most of the rest will use some form of high temp Glass Mat technology ie Dynomax and clones. They all have their pro's and con's you just have to pick the one you like best...

Glass packs are just round tubes with high temp glass fibers stuffed around a perforated pipe not worth the money and illegal in some states ie California.

With the new sound and emissions lass being passed in all the states your best bet to stay away from Officer Friendly is the after market setup. But check your state laws, in my state of washington there is a law on the books that basically says that any replacement exhaust "should not EXCEED" the noise limit of what the car was sold with, kinda makes it impossible to get anything that sounds healthy...

Old 11-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Muffler, Straight Pipes, or Glass Packes???

i got mined strrighted piped form the cat back love the sound of it. but if dont want it to be loud then i wouldnt do it. but mine a good sounding load not an annoying loud.