Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

would it be okay

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Starting Member
spankyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default would it be okay

would it be okay to just take an put a k&n cold air intake air filter an just put the filter right on to the maf sensor
i no it sounds dumb

Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: would it be okay

I think it would put too much restriction on the air flow at the MAF sensor. The sensor needs a free flow of air to do it's job.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

Has it been done? Yes
Is it the best setup? No
Is there a chance the oiled filter will get oil on the sensitive MAF wires? Yes

IMO, a hacked airbox and a drop in replacement filter will get you the same results as a "Cold air intake". These engines really don't have too much trouble breathing once you open it up a little.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Starting Member

okyay thats what i wanted to no lol how big of holes do u put in the stock air box
dose any one mabey have a pic of it

Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone does the box mod differently. I had some hole saw drill attachments that were 1.5" and I drilled 3 holes. One in the bottom, and two on the side facing away from the engine. It really freed things up. Some cut the whole front off, which is probably what I should have done.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Starting Member

well i just took an made the front hole alot bigger an put a 2in hole it the bottom an two 2 in holes in the side that face the motor will that be okay i misse read what was sayed an i put them in the wrong side will it be okay

Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Modifying the box by drilling holes may actually decrease your performance. If you just want to open things up a bit, just remove the tube (helmholz resonator) from the front of the air box and call it a day. Reason being, all those holes just allow air from under the hood (hot air) to be drawn into the engine which sort of defeats the purpose. That is the largest problem with these "cold" air intakes out there. They do nothing to actually seal off the filter from hot engine bay air.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Starting Member

well it seamed to help out fer now till i can get a cai