Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Beginning Member
Dano123 is on a distinguished road
Default Air Shocks

I have a 95 4dr Jimmy that I take off road. I cranked the T bars in the front and just installed air shocks on the rear. At 115 psi it lifts my rear bumper 2.5". I would like to install some on the front now, has anyone done this? I searched monroe's mounting list and found a 2003 Dodge Ram Van rear shock has the same mounts as the front of the Jimmy and are just slightly longer. I can't seem to tell if the Hijackers (for the Van) would have the clearance (diameter) to fit in the front, any help would be great. Dano

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

they will probly fit. I also have rear air shocks so if you get the front to work let me know. Will make the ride hash if you do get them to work though.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that you can lift the truck high enough to damage your CV shafts with the stock keys (provided the t-bars aren't weak)... Additional lift by other means is a sure fire way to start chewing up CV shafts.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member

My idea is to lower the T bars back down a little and use the air shocks to lift it. It has the rake look now with 115psi in the rear, and its only 2.5" lift from 0-115psi. Would 2-2.5" be enough to damage the CV joints? My ultimate goal is the ride with 25-50 psi on the road and be able to lift it to 115 psi or so(most my comp will put out 115) when I take it on the trails. I used to have hydraulics on a Buick Wildcat and I just want to transfer the adjustable suspension onto the Jimmy. I know a RWD car is alot different than the 4wd Jimmy but 2.5" just does not seem to me too much of a lift for the front. I am new to this and I am spoiled with my truck (F250 Super Duty) and my old truck (70-80's GM K-2500) both solid front axles so the IFS is still a little odd to me. Thanks for the input, I am still learning.

On another note, anyone know what would cause a "swaying" feel while driving? After my last trip off road I now have this odd feeling almost like on a tight rope. It feels like a rocking back and forth kind of scary at 60 mph. I noticed my tires are tilted out at the top causing the skiing on the outside of the tread. I thought the tires may have been from the T bar crank and I just didn't notice but I have had that done for a couple months without this problem. I put the air shocks on the back because I thought maybe it was bad shocks and its worse now so I assume its in the front end. I would like to put new shocks on the front now, thats why I am asking about the air shocks. I guess I need to take it to the shop, but if it is just something easy to fix I will do it. I removed the sway bar in the front because the links were a little bent, I have not road tested it yet to see if that could have caused it. Does that sound like something a bent link would cause? Thanks for any info

Old 12-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, anything 2" + will really stress the CV axles.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member

Wow, thanks for the info. I had not thought much about the shafts, thought that was only if I tried to lift is 3-4".

I drove it yesterday, it is still acting weird. It feels like the front corners dip really bad making turns or hitting a bump. Could this be just bad shocks? I know they are not good, but this problem was not there on the way to the trails and was on the way home 8 hrs. later. I drug bottom alot that day and I flexed on one rock for a pic. I am lost.