Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

air shocks

Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road
Default air shocks

Ok, so I did a search for these in the suspension section and it turned up some good results. i was thinking about putting air shocks on my blazer to give it a little more lift. My question is, can i put them on all around? (front and back) and would I still be able to off-road? I would imagine that I would be able to, but I just wanted to check and make sure.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: air shocks

Can you even purchase air shocks for a front mount application? I wouldn't put them on the front, but that is up to you. I have coil over shocks on the back of my Bravada that add 250lbs of spring rate to the back. I added these because of the load I carry when I have all of my tools in the back of the truck... Just added insurance. Once these go bad, I am going to get a new set of springs with a higher spring rate.

Anyway, air shocks in the back are a good way to go. My coil overs didn't make it ride rough at all, but the air shocks give you more load carrying capability with higher pressures. Since you really are only considering it for more lift... Well, your ride will get more harsh if you run around without the weight in there...

Just some things to think about I guess...

Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM

Actually, I dont know if you can buy them for the front. I guess i was kinda asking that too, but nevermind that if you think its a bad idea. The air shocks for the back are for a little more height and for a trailer that I will be towing. The shocks I'm looking at are adjustable (I dont know if all of them are or not) by adding or releasing air. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a 4 wheeler next year (hence the trailer thing) and i dont want the rear to sag cause of the 31's. Currently the rear of my truck sits 1 inch lower than the front because the torsion bars in the front are cranked up. The shocks would be used to level it out and raised when towing. Does that seem legit or should I go another route for this? thanks

Old 10-25-2006, 02:58 AM
stinger74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd go another route for the front. There are no applications for front-mount air shocks. They are dangerous for the front because the ride is so stiff if you hit a pothole, it might send you careening across the road. Or if one goes kaplut! it'd be like trying to steer a goat. If you get them for the back, raise them up high enough that when you put the trailer on, it squats just enough to be level with the front.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Air shocks work great if you live where the bladders dont rot out. If you get em, get a very good set, pay the extra, its worth it.

As far as the front, I was thinking the same thing but im not sure how that will effect the alignment everytime Its aired up.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 AM

What would you say is a "good set"? Good points about the front. Wish it was just that easy to lift the front but oh well. I'll have to go another route with that one.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know only Gabriel makes them( good brand K40 owns it). You are much better off with a helper springs/ add-a-leafs. Ive pretty much given up on lifting my T-10. It seems more trouble then its worth.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Starting Member
djremix is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't make air shocks for the front on a 4X4 but the back are pretty easy to find...I personally have Gabriel air shocks and they do an awesome job! The rear rides like a Caddy...not that well but you get the point...better than stock!