Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

confused on body,shackle lift.. way to much info

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
chiefbong360 is on a distinguished road
Default confused on body,shackle lift.. way to much info

1998 chevy blazer 4 door 4x4 automatic

planning on a 2 inch shackle lift, long add a leafs, new shocks, 2 or if i can a 3 inch body lift, and T bar keys or cranked torsion bars.

I AM CONFUSED! there is so much info on this on so many different sites. a sticky would be great.

2 inch shackle lift from ebay is pretty straight forward....

long add a leafs from summit racing are the way to go i understand?...

no clue on shocks, do i need longer shocks for what I'm planning on doing?...

so many body lift kits on the market, i understand i need one with bumper brackets, is there anything else i should look for like steering or shift extensions or fuel/brake like extensions, can i get a 3 inch lift? best kit out there?

are T bar keys necessary? would they help any?

thank you soo much in advance! nate

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Ok basically you can do a 3 inch on a second gen but you will have a gap between the bumpers and the rest of the body unless you can fab up your own brackets, I don't know about needing extensions for a 3 inch but I don't think you do. A 2 inch kit like PA or BDS comes with everything you need, and I know you don't need extensions for that. T bar keys aren't necessary they're basically a waste of money, just crank the stock keys. Also as far as shocks go I would get aftermarket ones that are like 2 inches longer, they'll help flex more offroad.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because some stuff I'm not entirely positive about.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sturg
Ok basically you can do a 3 inch on a second gen but you will have a gap between the bumpers and the rest of the body unless you can fab up your own brackets, I don't know about needing extensions for a 3 inch but I don't think you do. A 2 inch kit like PA or BDS comes with everything you need, and I know you don't need extensions for that. T bar keys aren't necessary they're basically a waste of money, just crank the stock keys. Also as far as shocks go I would get aftermarket ones that are like 2 inches longer, they'll help flex more offroad.

Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because some stuff I'm not entirely positive about.
I'm running fullsize shocks in the rear, seems to be a decent fit and the price was right

I got a deal on tortion keys/shackles for cheaper then just shackles(although I ended up making my own anyways as I wanted 2", not 1.5, so they went in the colorado)... long story short, I installed them then just took them out and put the stock ones back in(keys) as for 1, I couldn't get my front end as low as i wanted(not enough adjustment) and the tortion key bolts stick below the crossmember, increasing the chance of snapping it off. you can achieve more lift then wanted with the stock tortion bar keys....