Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Lifting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Lifting Questions

Hey guys, I love the way lifting vehicles look, and I want to eventually lift my 2002 4 door Blazer, but I have no clue what to get or how to figure out what to get, so first off...

Lift Kits
What are they exactly? How do they work? Are they safe? Do they increase the chance of rolling?

Body Kits
Again, what are they? How do they compare to lift kits. And again, are they safe?

Shackles
What are they?

Then, besides all those...
How do you get your tired moved farther out away from your vehicle?

Please and thanks,

Keenan

Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BigEffingHammer
Hey guys, I love the way lifting vehicles look, and I want to eventually lift my 2002 4 door Blazer, but I have no clue what to get or how to figure out what to get, so first off...

Lift Kits
What are they exactly? How do they work? Are they safe? Do they increase the chance of rolling?

Body Kits
Again, what are they? How do they compare to lift kits. And again, are they safe?

Shackles
What are they?

hint hint...........
check suspension tech threads

https://blazerforum.com/forum/liftin...it-list-16186/

i used wheels adapters, also known as wheel spacers.
1.5" for rear seems to be popular

Please and thanks,

Keenan
search my man ....i gave you a freebie this time

Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigEffingHammer

Lift Kits

Body Kits

Shackles
What are they?

Please and thanks,

Keenan
Suspension lifts typically involve adjusting/moving or replacing the springs (leaf, coil or torsion springs) so that they push harder against the ground.

Body lifts literally lift the body off of the frame. No adjustment of the suspension and it will keep the steering and alignment exactly as it is.

Both types will raise the center of gravity so the chance of tipping or rolling increases. Unless you drive like a maniac and take corners at high speeds, I doubt you would ever have a problem.

Shackles are what hold the leaf spring to the frame. When you hit a bump and your wheel moves up, the shackles pivot so that the spring can flatten out and absorb the impact. You can use longer shackles to get lift.

On Blazers, the most common method is to use longer lift-shackles on the back and to tighten the torsion bars (tbars) to raise the front. There are several other methods outlined in the link that warthog posted above.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

So what would you recommend that is cheap, safe, and not extraordinarily difficult for beginners?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
edwardsdl85 is on a distinguished road

mdehoogh,

Ok I am rolling a 1998 blazer 4 door , I am getting the three inch body kit from a local disstributor, With a three inch body, Longer shackles or blocks, new shocks how much lift can I achieve on the front buy tighneing the torsion bars? I am trying to comfortably fit 33 10.50s? will this work?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by edwardsdl85
mdehoogh,

Ok I am rolling a 1998 blazer 4 door , I am getting the three inch body kit from a local disstributor, With a three inch body, Longer shackles or blocks, new shocks how much lift can I achieve on the front buy tighneing the torsion bars? I am trying to comfortably fit 33 10.50s? will this work?
Blocks won't work.

It's not recommended to go more than 1.5" by cranking the torsion bars. Off the top of my head, the only person I know of who has 33x10.5 has a 2" body lift and tbar/shackle lift but he also has a ZR2 which is a few inches higher than normal.

To fit 33x12.5, most people do a full 5" or 6" suspension lift as well as a body lift.

There's a thread at the top of this section (and even linked above) called "START HERE" that explains all the available lift kits and what tire size should work.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah, sorry to say to do 33's you are gonna need body lift and suspension lift, and then you still have to trim. thats what i had to do. even with the 1.5 t-crank and 2" shackles.
it takes a lot to fit those 33's.....well worth it though!!!