Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Some lifting questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
chevydude_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some lifting questions

Hello eveyone! Just found this forum and joined it....looks like there is alot of good information here!

Anyways I have a 1997 LS 4.3l 4wd auto and I'm looking to do a little lift and get a nice set of wheels and tires. I don't want anything crazy and I don't want to do any trimming on the fenders...just a nice road worthy setup with some somewhat aggresive looking tires. I'm more going for the look but something that gives me the ability to do a little wheeling if I feel inclinded too.

Now I did some searching so far and think I kinda have it figure out on what I would like. I was looking at a 2 or 3 inch body lift, level the front out with the torsion bar lift, and get a set of 30 or 31's under there on a nice set of aluminum (preferably) wheels. How does this sound to you guys? I will gladly take any suggestions on what wheels or tires to get. Also on the backspacing of the wheel. If the tires stick out a little, that is fine as I would like to get flares too but maybe not at that exact moment. Budget is a little low. I'd also like to get rid of my aluminum running boards that came on it and get some good nerf bars. What are good ones to get?

Thanks everyone in advance for the replies!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: Some lifting questions

Welcome to the forum! If you want more looks than anything than a body lift is the way to go. You can fit 31's with stock backspaced rims and no rubbing/need for fender trimming with the body lift. As for occasional light wheeling, you will find that your blazer is extremely capable at stock ride height with no mods.

As for good parts, Westin, in my experience, makes some of the best nerf bars/brush guards out there. A comparable, cheaper brand is Hunter 4x4. Check their ebay store, I think the manufacture nerf bars too!!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Starting Member
blzrls is an unknown quantity at this point

go with performance accesories body lift, believe they only make a 2" for the 97 Blazer,
read the directions a couple of times and have two or three friends help you,preferably friends with body lift experince.
agreed,westin makes the best nerf bars but they are pricey.
hope this helps

Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I just finished up a P.A. body lift with some 31s I have no rubbing except at full crank, and I love the way it looks. Plus a lot of people say that b.l. are not as capable as a set of shackles and tbar crank, but I do very well and that tiny bit of ground clearance I didn't get with the body lift the bigger tires make up that. When I can't get somewhere because I am off my a little over an inch off then there is something wrong. I amdoing shackles and tbars any way, but for now I am happy.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
chevydude_18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I did some more looking and def. think that I'm going with a 2" body lift with 31's. I think I'm going to go this route but I'm also debating about rear shackles with a T-bar lift in front and later, maybe a year or something, and going with the Body lift. What do you guys think I should do? With this, 4" of lift, will the 31's be too small looking for the vehicle?

Now the tires I'm looking at getting are Toyo open country as they are the only tire that comes in the right size. The only thing is on their site it says that a 245/75R/16. From their site, these are 31 overall outside diameter. So I guess these are the ones I want. I don't understand the tire sizes too much on cars. haha. What offset should I be looking at then on the rims also?

Thanks everyone

Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I like having some wheel well space to play with. Having the wells stuffed with tire looks good sure, but theres just no room for movement!! Just coat your wells with rhino-lining or spray em black, and they'll blend in a bit more.

And actually do a search at the tire places for a 31x1050x16...you'll probably get more results.