Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

looking to lift my Jimmy a few inches. . .what's the safest & least expensive method?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking to lift my Jimmy a few inches. . .what's the safest & least expensive method?

I would like to lift my Jimmy by at least two inches. I don't know an incredible amount about it, but looking online yesterday it looks like I can do a suspension lift of around 2 inches for a couple hundred, or a body lift which can actually be done quite cheap by getting longer lag screws and u-bolts and putting in a few inches of cut steel stock inbetween the axles and leaf springs.

My main concern is that after reading some articles yesterday, I've learned that lifting the truck will result in the steering shaft not being long enough, changing angles of other components, excessive wear on the ball joints and cv joints, and also, the gearing of the truck is made to specifications for how tall the vehicle is, and a lift would cause this to be off.

What would you guys recommend for a lift that would cause the least adverse effects, best cost, and best height increase? The kits I was looking at yesterday were about $200.
What do I need to be weary of when doing a lift? Should I have the gearing changed to match? Can I do a 2 inch suspension lift and then a 2 inch body lift? What's a good lift for the blazer/jimmy?
My plan is to drop a few hundred on lifting the truck a few inches and then maybe get larger wheels&tires.
Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Starting Member

also, what mods would/should I do to convert my stock s15 jimmy to a ZR2? It's got a few inches of height on mine in addition to larger tires. What should I be conscious of here? What changes will occur? What parts do I need to change and what do I need to be worried about worn faster?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iamchevyman5
also, what mods would/should I do to convert my stock s15 jimmy to a ZR2? It's got a few inches of height on mine in addition to larger tires. What should I be conscious of here? What changes will occur? What parts do I need to change and what do I need to be worried about worn faster?
you want a zr2 sell yours and buy a zr2. you won't convert it

that being said, 2" body (or 3" depening on your year) will put the least strain on your suspention,

for a cheap suspension lift you can turn your tortion bars u pabout 1.5"(which will strain the ball joints, cv's and steering a bit more but most people haven't had to many problems) and 2" shackles in the rear.

search will give you dozzens of threads on this... tortion bar crank and shackle lift

P.S. yes you can do a suspension as well as body,

Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Starting Member

can you recommend a good suspension lift kit? I found this that sounds kinda like what you recommended. . . http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_s10.html
I'm betting you're going to respond that I don't need all that, that I can just use the stock keys, etc. etc. How much do these 2" shackles cost though and where do I get them?
Can you recommend a good body lift kit that will be a good match to the jimmy and wont cause too much wear on the parts?
How much of a job is it to install these and perform these lifts?
I'm thinking of doing the 2 inch body lift along with the cheap suspension lift you recommended, which would give me a total lift of about 3.5 inches?
Correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE.
Then after that I was thinking of putting on the 31/10.5/15 tires that the ZR2s come stock with.
How's all that sound?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Shackles are 50.00 on ebay. Some offer free shipping. As for the body lift, performance accessories is a good body lift brand.