Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Torsion key question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road
Default Torsion key question

So I put new leafs on the back and wit the shackles and extra leaf I'm sitting 4-5" higher then the front I already T-bar cranked the front. My question is will I gain any more lift with new torsion keys? Also what does it cost roughly average for a shop to put them in.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It's generally considered "safe" to turn your torsion bars up about 1.5" above stock ride height. Any more than that and you'll be breaking things very regularly. Even turning your T-bars up a little takes it out of factory spec and will accelerate the wear of front suspension and steering components. Personally I consider the aftermarket keys to be a waste of money on our trucks. You can normally turn your factory keys up higher than it's safe to go, so why waste money on aftermarket ones?

It sounds to me like you need to be looking at a lift kit to level things out. Rough Country's 2.5" lift might get you closer to where you want. It includes new upper control arms, and a front diff drop to help keep the front end geometry closer to factory specs.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
It's generally considered "safe" to turn your torsion bars up about 1.5" above stock ride height. Any more than that and you'll be breaking things very regularly. Even turning your T-bars up a little takes it out of factory spec and will accelerate the wear of front suspension and steering components. Personally I consider the aftermarket keys to be a waste of money on our trucks. You can normally turn your factory keys up higher than it's safe to go, so why waste money on aftermarket ones?

It sounds to me like you need to be looking at a lift kit to level things out. Rough Country's 2.5" lift might get you closer to where you want. It includes new upper control arms, and a front diff drop to help keep the front end geometry closer to factory specs.
There would be no point in me buying the rough country lift I would rather go buy my own A arms and diff brackets because that's all I would need. I honestly think the rough country lift is a waste of money because you can find everything separate cheaper like the shackles and A arms shocks and so on. I already have shackles on and torsion bar cranked. I don't see how A arms and a bracket will do anything for lift. From my understanding they just help out with the new angle that the front will sit at.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Torsion bar lifts are only good for about 1-2" of lift without causing issues with other parts.
I don't know of any kit for lifting just the front suspension 4-5" short of the relocating brackets that come with a lift kit. I'm sure that you could build the brackets or cut/reweld the original brackets to get the height. Don't forget to lower the differential and steering linkage as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The main advantage of the RC 2.5" lift (as well as the bigger lift kits) is it drops the front diff to keep the CV axles at an acceptable angle, and replaces the A arms rectifying the upper ball joint angle after lifting. To me it's a wash as to whether the RC 2.5" kit is worth the cost, but I have my doubts that you could purchase all the included parts, of equal or better quality, for less than $500. If you only need the A arms and diff drop bracket then I agree it's cheaper to just buy those parts separately. If you can piece it together an entire lift kit for less, then more power to you. Please share your parts and sources for the rest of us poor people. I'm sure there will be others wanting to follow your lead.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
The main advantage of the RC 2.5" lift (as well as the bigger lift kits) is it drops the front diff to keep the CV axles at an acceptable angle, and replaces the A arms rectifying the upper ball joint angle after lifting. To me it's a wash as to whether the RC 2.5" kit is worth the cost, but I have my doubts that you could purchase all the included parts, of equal or better quality, for less than $500. If you only need the A arms and diff drop bracket then I agree it's cheaper to just buy those parts separately. If you can piece it together an entire lift kit for less, then more power to you. Please share your parts and sources for the rest of us poor people. I'm sure there will be others wanting to follow your lead.
Well I bought the shackles and the only other thing in the lift are the new brackets torsion keys and a-arm's I might just make my own bracket with my welder and left over steel I have laying around.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

See this is what I mean look at the gap compared to the front I had to raise the leafs on the shackles a bit my shocks are only rated for 32" I need to buy new ones.

Attached Thumbnails Torsion key question-img20130416172545450.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i peiced the rough country suspension kit togther on mine. i installed a set of rear 2.5 inch shackles,rough country upper control arms and a set of indexed torsion bar keys and cranked mine up. when u install the new keys and crank it up ur torsion bars will fatigue very rapidly as it wasnt designed for the extra strain. im having the issue now im correcting it by installing a set of zr2 torsion bars from a s10 pick up to match my s10 z85 rear leafs with add a leaf to even it all out. my advice is peice it all togther and save some money research the kits u want. when u upgrade the weaker parts will give out and will need to be replaced. do not use cheap suspension parts as u will end up replacing them again. just keep ur balljoints and moving suspension parts greased it will help alottt

Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by gitch93
i peiced the rough country suspension kit togther on mine. i installed a set of rear 2.5 inch shackles,rough country upper control arms and a set of indexed torsion bar keys and cranked mine up. when u install the new keys and crank it up ur torsion bars will fatigue very rapidly as it wasnt designed for the extra strain. im having the issue now im correcting it by installing a set of zr2 torsion bars from a s10 pick up to match my s10 z85 rear leafs with add a leaf to even it all out. my advice is peice it all togther and save some money research the kits u want. when u upgrade the weaker parts will give out and will need to be replaced. do not use cheap suspension parts as u will end up replacing them again. just keep ur balljoints and moving suspension parts greased it will help alottt
That's hat I'm going to do just part together a kit I'm going to replace the front and back shocks and A-arms and I wont even worry about the keys I'll just get a body lift I raised my leaf up on my shackles it looks better now. I also built a bastard pack with full size truck leafs they work good nice and stiff for towing the boat now it feels like a jeep when you hit potholes lol. Now I need new shocks for the rear since the shocks are too small.

Last edited by bdemutis; 04-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.