Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

what lift kit should i buy? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
MyBabyXtreme is on a distinguished road
Default what lift kit should i buy? HELP

i have a mint 1996 4x4 4 door blazer. I want to keep all of the reliability of this daily driver. I am looking for a 2"-4" lift but i hear the rough country is total crap. I don't want a torsion bar crank and dont prefer body lifts.
can i get bigger shocks and add-a-leafs?
I have never done lifting before buy want to fit 31" tires on my truck without rubbing or cutting wheel wells

im not making big bucks i dont want to spend too much on this project either thanks guys

EDIT
the superlift looks like a good kit for its price is it any good and how reliable is it?

Last edited by MyBabyXtreme; 08-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You're presenting a bit of a difficult situation here. You want to lift your truck and put on bigger tires, but you want to keep the same reliability. You don't want to do the RC lift, a body lift, nor a torsion bar lift. And you don't want to spend very much money to do it. Really the only way to do everything on your list is to find someone that wants to trade you straight across for a ZR2. They come from the factory with 31" tires.

Bigger shock absorbers will do nothing to change your ride height. An add-a-leaf will lift the rear end 2-3", however it will make the suspension a fair bit stiffer. The add-a-leaf doesn't address the front end height either. Longer leaf shackles are a simple & inexpensive way to add height to the back while maintaining factory ride characteristics.

Easiest and cheapest way to fit 31" tires is with a body lift. That will run you around $200 for parts if you install it yourself. Doing that you might not be able to fit 31's with only a body lift without trimming or massaging the front fender with a hammer. The RC 2.5" lift is decent quality (definitely not perfect) and is really the only suspension lift option for the 2-4" range, and can be found for $450-$500ish. You could get a 5-6" BDS or Superlift kit, but they're way more expensive and a lot more work to install. Don't bother with any kit that just replaces the factory torsion bar keys. They are a complete waste of money on our trucks because you can get more than the safe height from the factory keys.