Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

'02 Blazer Electric Mirror Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough
Default '02 Blazer Electric Mirror Switch

My new to me Blazer seems to have a bad electric mirror switch. It doesn't work in the left direction for either side and that is what makes me think it's the switch. It's not a major issue but if it's an easy fix I would do it. Can the switch be taken apart and cleaned up? Are they easy to R&R either for repair or replacement?

Thanks

Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

They are easy to take out, they are able to open and cleaned(but I haven't done it myself). The biggest problem with them is that when it rains and the window is open a crack, drops tend to land right on that entire switch part.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
My new to me Blazer seems to have a bad electric mirror switch. It doesn't work in the left direction for either side and that is what makes me think it's the switch. It's not a major issue but if it's an easy fix I would do it. Can the switch be taken apart and cleaned up? Are they easy to R&R either for repair or replacement?

Thanks
I have taken apart some of the electrical components but not that sprcific one.

If you cannot get a replacement, eithet new or used, my advice would be to be careful with the disassemby as these tend to be assembled by bring snapped together and the plastic tabs can break.

Also do any disassembly over a surface that will catch any small pieces that come out like springs and loose metal contacts.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:03 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
I have taken apart some of the electrical components but not that sprcific one.

If you cannot get a replacement, eithet new or used, my advice would be to be careful with the disassemby as these tend to be assembled by bring snapped together and the plastic tabs can break.

Also do any disassembly over a surface that will catch any small pieces that come out like springs and loose metal contacts.
I know what you're saying! Thanks. Does the whole plate just pop up with a pull? It looks like it must.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:35 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
The biggest problem with them is that when it rains and the window is open a crack, drops tend to land right on that entire switch part.
this, or the door hinge bushings are shot, the door sags, and then EVERY time it rains water drips down onto it...

I've pulled multiple of them apart to clean the contacts and have had some success. But yes be very gentle when opening the switch up. It's very easy to crack the plastic housing, at which point it will not securely snap back together anymore...

Just grab the window switch assembly around the front of it (near the mirror switch area) and give it a pull upwards. It'll pop out of the door panel. The mirror adjustment switch is a separate assembly that's snapped into the bezel. You can unplug and pop it out and work on it without unplugging and removing the entire window switch.