Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

3rd brake light and hazards issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road
Default 3rd brake light and hazards issues

Ok so I seen that someone posted a video about the 3rd brake light and how to replace it. I went out tonight to try and go thro the devils nest of wiring (I really HATE when idiots try to work on stuff they know nothing about) and see what wires would fix the 3rd brake light. Well, couldnt find the ones that work so I just tapped into the wire for the right side brake lights like someone would to install a trailer wire kit. It blinks with the turn signal on that side but at least it works. Ok, so now on the second issue. Ive noticed that whenever I press down on the hazard button, the right turn signal comes on(and only that side) and if I press down a little harder, the Blazer acts like you turned the switch on even the keys where in my pocket. Like the headlights came on and and fuel pump kicked in and everything. You let up off the button and it all shuts back down. But you cant click it. So I guess that means Im gonna be tearing into it tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Im sorry for being an idiot about all of this, but this is my first time on anything like this.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Starting Member

No takers on this?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like a short .... what happens when you play with the hazard switch

Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
sounds like a short .... what happens when you play with the hazard switch
The Blazer would turn on and off as if you were turning the key on and off. But today, I was trying to show it to someone and the hazard button didnt do anything. Im beginning to wonder if all these wiring issues is getting to be more than I can handle. I guess I just need some patients and just take it at one project at a time.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

it could be the hazard switch shorting out but i never heard of it messing with the ignition

Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Starting Member

Neither have I. Thats what gets me. I almost wonder since this dash is from a 99, if when whoever put the dash in just tossed it in in a hurry and possibly the wires are in the way of the button?? Ill find out tomorrow when I tear into it. I know I keep saying tomorrow, but Ive been having alot of first responder calls lately.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
it could be the hazard switch shorting out but i never heard of it messing with the ignition
Originally Posted by tripovermyego
Neither have I. Thats what gets me. I almost wonder since this dash is from a 99, if when whoever put the dash in just tossed it in in a hurry and possibly the wires are in the way of the button?? Ill find out tomorrow when I tear into it. I know I keep saying tomorrow, but Ive been having alot of first responder calls lately.
We just had that happen last week.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...f-crazy-69670/
Guy's wiring was melted together at the brake lite switch. So that's where to look first. CHMSL does not go through the hazard switch but current can feed back and if the OTHER {normally open side} of the stop sw is shorted to it, who knows what happens.

BTW: ALSO a 97, ALSO concerning trailer wiring. If I had a 97 and not a 99, I would be considering selling it and waving bye-bye to you guys. What an electrical nightmare POS!

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
We just had that happen last week.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...f-crazy-69670/
Guy's wiring was melted together at the brake lite switch. So that's where to look first. CHMSL does not go through the hazard switch but current can feed back and if the OTHER {normally open side} of the stop sw is shorted to it, who knows what happens.

BTW: ALSO a 97, ALSO concerning trailer wiring. If I had a 97 and not a 99, I would be considering selling it and waving bye-bye to you guys. What an electrical nightmare POS!
yea I was doing some reading on that. Ugh, electrical work is not my cup of tea. I guess I can start with popping the steering column covers off and seeing about the wiring there. Ive known about the hazard switch not working because we arent allowed to run blue lights for first responder or fire calls so I run the 4 ways but since mine isnt working, I cant haha.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tripovermyego
yea I was doing some reading on that. Ugh, electrical work is not my cup of tea. I guess I can start with popping the steering column covers off and seeing about the wiring there. Ive known about the hazard switch not working because we arent allowed to run blue lights for first responder or fire calls so I run the 4 ways but since mine isnt working, I cant haha.
Jeez! CAN YOU READ!!!!! YOU CAN START BY LOOKING AT THE BRAKE LITE SWITCH!!!
You know that thing you put your foot on to stop. There's a lever on the back of it, follow the lever up under the dash, there's a pivot joint there with a rod running flat toward the firewall. Where that lever and the rod meet and pivot, there's a swittchy looking thing with wires on it. If it's burnt looking and/or the wires are melted like and singed, there's at least a major part of your problem. There may be others. But first look at the brake switch close, even replace it.
If there's nothing you can find there, THEN start tearing covers off.

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-12-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Jeez! CAN YOU READ!!!!! YOU CAN START BY LOOKING AT THE BRAKE LITE SWITCH!!!
You know that thing you put your foot on to stop. There's a lever on the back of it, follow the lever up under the dash, there's a pivot joint there with a rod running flat toward the firewall. Where that lever and the rod meet and pivot, there's a swittchy looking thing with wires on it. If it's burnt looking and/or the wires are melted like and singed, there's at least a major part of your problem. There may be others. But first look at the brake switch close, even replace it.
If there's nothing you can find there, THEN start tearing covers off.
haha Yes I can read. I already checked it out and followed the wires up. So far so good. Youd think the would be a fuse to blow or something if those wires shorted out. Is the Blazer known for wiring issues? Im not blaming mine on Chevy or anything. Mine is just the PO being total idiots.