Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Adding a set of LED blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road
Default Adding a set of LED blinkers

So I got some mountable strips of LEDs the other day, and I've heard about having to put resistors and stuff in them when you wire them up? I'm by no means an electrician so bear with me here.

My original plan was to splice the blinker wire and run it to each LED which would be mounted on both sides of the back window... Maybe... I think. These are the strips and the operating voltage is 9-14.8 volts. Am I going to need anything at radioshack? They'll be here on Friday so that gives me plenty of time to figure out this electrical thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

They will work without a resistor, but if you want them just as blinkers, there is no "just blinker wire" blinker and brake light are ran on the same circuit. so the lights will function as both.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If you are keeping the stock tail lights, then you won't need any resistors like rich said.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Starting Member

If thats the case I may try and do something different. I'd like them to be dedicated turn signal lights, yellow is hardly my idea of a stop light. Are the brake light and turn signal activators run off the same unit?

USPS says they've arrived at my local post office. Exciting!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Hopefully someone can chime in on this one.
Start doing some extensive searching on the net to see how people in the US are wiring up brazilian blazer tail lights. Those tails have separate amber turn signals.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Starting Member

According to this thread I'll be wiring them from the front..... No problem though. A few measurements and they should be done.

Heres a picture of em! The clips are not exactly what i expected for something that claimed to be waterproof... Only about a foot in length too. But that's okay!

Attached Thumbnails Adding a set of LED blinkers-1002438_687122631314072_1849396708_n.jpg  

Last edited by Badco; 07-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You could tap into the trailer plug.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
You could tap into the trailer plug.
The way I read it, the trailer blinkers are wired ala the brake lights? I totally passed on thinking about the trailer wiring, but some googling has led me to this. This has a lot of info on trailers in General, as well, but this seems to be the gold I was looking for...

Color codes
White or black is the ground.
Green is right turn.
Yellow is left turn
Brown is tail lights.
I'll be digging in after work tomorrow. I'll be sure to take some pics. And since it's dark I got to see the UV cabin light. Lit it up! The 562 was slightly too big, but I was able to wiggle it in without any funky sounds.
Sorry, this bulb was the 578.

Last edited by Badco; 07-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran

There you go, I was going to say, I am not sure the front blinkers would work, as they are similar to the tails and use a 1157 bulb, dim with the parking lights, and go to full brightness with the blinkers.

Your best bet would be like thog said and go from the diagram you found on AF and wire it up to the trailer harness, and you should be good than.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
BF Veteran

I always wanted to play with UV leds. Would you mind getting a pic of how that looks?

I thought it would be cool to get fluorescent paint and do the trim in that with the UV light.

Quick Reply: Adding a set of LED blinkers