Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Anyone else have flickering lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else have flickering lights?

According to this thread http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.p...pic=27862&st=0

if you put bigger/better grounds on your battery that it can cause all lights on your ride to kind of flicker a bit without change in voltage on the battery.

I have noticed that mine will do this sometimes when im idling at night, although mine dosent sound as bad as the original posters.

Now they talk about adding a "sensing" wire from one of the plugs on the alternator harness to the alternator post and completely solved his flicker, and helped him hold a steadier voltage, rather than fluctuating back and forth on the gauge like mine does.

I have the 4 pin connector but only 1 red wire coming out of it.

does anyone have input on this?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is likely an issue caused with the PWM circuitry inside the PCM. I have had this happen on a lot of vehicles. The post at the bottom of page 1 in that thread details what is required to change the alternator from PCM control to the old steady state control.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM
BF Veteran

they also list ac delco part number-pt1136 which looks like this http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0094_large.jpg

4 wire alt. harness. so for install one would have to cut the original red wire on the original harness, solder together then run the wire/pin thats supposedly marked "S" to the alt. bolt and your done?

are the any pro's or con's to doing this other than the flickering light problem?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran

checked my alt. connection and it only has 1 of those silver prongs that make the contact, guess id have to replace mine with the other harness.

also i didnt see any markings saying which pin was which

Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member
bluiewest1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My interior and dash lights have been flickering for a while, but recently the headlights have started dimming briefly when I step on the brakes or use the turn signals. The voltage indicator shows something around 15v , and that is if the dash gauge is accurate. I guess the next thing would be to check the alternator output with a volt/ohm meter?

Last edited by bluiewest1; 12-06-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: incomplete