Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Disabling DRL + AHL, what about my foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road
Default Disabling DRL + AHL, what about my foglights?

hi gang, I realize I'm late to the party on these things.. I've read all the threads I can about disabling DRL and AHL, but none of them mention the foglights.

My IDEAL situation would be:
disable DRL
disable AHL
low beams work as normal (with fogs on whenever fog switch is on)
high beams now include lows AND fogs (if switch is on)

the ideal would be all 3 light modes on at the same time (when switch is in high beam). I lost my Jimmy to a damn deer, and I do not want to hit another one... so the further I can see them, the better.

As near as I can tell, the "yellow wire to ground mod" wont work with the relay pin bend mod, and resistor in socket mod, correct or not?

I am so-so at vehicle electrics, so the simpler the better. What do you recommend? pics and schematics would help, natch

Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Starting Member

any thoughts? I figured ever possible AHL/DRL combo had been worked out by now

Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

i disabled the AHL with the resistor mod.
i disabled the DRL by bending a pin on the relay.
i also did the QUAD beam mod, allowing low beams to stay on when you switch to high beams by grounding a wire(can't remember wich color, yellow ?)

i then installed a HID kit with a wire harness.

low beams HIDs are brigther then high beams + fogs... i never used high beams since then.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Starting Member

mind if I ask what HID kit you used? How much trouble is it to switch over from stock? (as in stuff to remove, how many hours, any other needs besides kit, etc)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

i used one of those cheap E-Bay kits, 55$.
i choosed the 55w.
it took about 30mins to install, the front grill is held on by metal clips, and the headlights are held on by a plastic clip.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Starting Member

was it worth the time and money? Here's my problem... I lost my last Blazer to a deer I didnt see coming. I do not want that to happen again. So I want to light up the night, know what I mean? This truck has good stock lights (9005/9006/fogs) and I see no reason not to turn them all on with whatever the brightest bulbs I can get are, that wont melt the harness or lens.

So HID conversion kit or Silverstar Ultras, both about the same price I'd say. Plus the quad mod, and I should be good to go.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

HID kits are cheaper then Silverstars. And they give off WAY more light. I am thinking about a 5000K 55w kit for my lows and maybe a 3000K kit for the fogs.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Starting Member

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
camarodude13 is on a distinguished road

I realize you started this back in Jan, but I agree that 55W HID is the way to go. High beams can't even come close. I recently disabled my AHL with a resistor and next is DRL. Did you figure out how to have low, high, and fog on at the same time? HID in all would be awesome and super bright, just make sure you get 55W. And if you get them from eBay make sure you check feedback. I bought a cheap kit and had to replace a bulb and 2 ballasts. The listing said 2 year warranty but after i left feedback i could not get a hold of anyone to get my lights working again. Had to buy new ones and open a PayPal dispute.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

55w is a waste of money unless you get a reputable kit. You will be blowing bulbs with the cheap ebay kits at 55w, since they use cheap bulbs, ballasts ect.
You are better off spending more money, getting a good kit from lets say The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications or where I got mine HID Kits | Aftermarket Headlights | HID Conversion | KBcarstuff.com
Which both have real good warranties, and customer service, and amazing products, and are always the color temp they say they are going to, unlike the ebay kits, where you order 5000k, expect them to be pure white with a tiny bit of blue, you install them, and they look like 6000k