Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Exterior lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Starting Member
goaltroll is on a distinguished road
Default Exterior lights problem

I have a 1980 K5 Blazer that im working on and hit a pretty problematic snag. While driving one day smoke started coming out of my hood and I discovered my alternator had pretty much imploded. After getting it swapped out I thought everything was normal until attempting to drive that night I noticed my lights werent working. At first I thought it was just the head lights but turns out its my running lights too. While talking with someone who knows more, he mentioned that in the early 80s models Chevy put a module in the dash that acts almost like a second fuse for the lights. I have checked the wiring and everything inside the engine compartment is good. Just to be safe I put in new fuseable link. The problem seems to pick up somewhere after the wire goes into the fuse box. It didnt blow the fuse so Im pretty much stumped. I guess my main question is has anyone heard of this supposed module? I havent had much luck locating information about it or what the technical name would be to buy a replacement. Any help is appreciated.