Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

front turn signal led problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Beginning Member
Rolandtd is on a distinguished road
Default front turn signal led problems

Hey everyone im having an issue with my truck its a 99 blazer. I recently put led bulbs in the rear lights but when I put the bulbs in the front turn signals at the indicator shows it constantly on but no flashing but when I put the stock bulbs back in it flashes fine the only thing I have done is mod the flasher relay to stop the hyperflashing. Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I just went through the same scenario in my 04. In the end, the issues with just throwing LED's in these trucks is because of the way the marker light in the headlight uses the turn signal bulb below it for ground. And the only way it's like that is so the two lights alternate when the turn signal flashes...

Like you, I put LED's all throughout the truck, in the tail lights, front turn signals, and marker lights. Mad to do the flasher mod after just installing the rear LED's, but that wasn't enough for when I put the fronts in. I had to put a load resistor across the ground and turn signal 12+ on the turn signal socket on both sides up front, and that solved the dimly lit inside indicator lights.

In my case I also had to solder on a diode as one of the legs for my front LED's because I was getting feedback and the running lights wouldn't work... may not be the case in yours though, depends on the bulb

Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 AM
Beginning Member
Rolandtd is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply man.it looks like im gonna be putting resistors in, I even tried the led flasher relay part ep-29. fixed the speed but still indicators are lit inside, ill post back with the results.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You will just need diodes to prevent back feed into the circuit. the load resistors are just to prevent the hyper flash.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
You will just need diodes to prevent back feed into the circuit. the load resistors are just to prevent the hyper flash.
without the load resistors, my signals wouldn't flash at all (with LED's in the front and rear), and that's after the flasher mod

Old 12-31-2014, 07:25 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
without the load resistors, my signals wouldn't flash at all (with LED's in the front and rear), and that's after the flasher mod
That is odd, Did you just mod your OEM flasher. I know that can be done in some cases.. or did you just purchase an electronic flasher.
If you got an electronic flasher, there should have been no need for load resistors and only diodes to prevent back feed into the system.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM

I just moded the OEM flasher by popping it open and lifting a leg on the IC on the circuit board inside. Free fix for me, since I already had a handful of the load resistors sitting around lol

Old 01-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Starting Member
blazerguy09 is on a distinguished road

i have leds on whole thing front marker, front turn signal, taillight, back up light, and leds in the cluster plus change relay i dont have any problems with it.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Starting Member
03blazer62341 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I just went through the same scenario in my 04. In the end, the issues with just throwing LED's in these trucks is because of the way the marker light in the headlight uses the turn signal bulb below it for ground. And the only way it's like that is so the two lights alternate when the turn signal flashes...

Like you, I put LED's all throughout the truck, in the tail lights, front turn signals, and marker lights. Mad to do the flasher mod after just installing the rear LED's, but that wasn't enough for when I put the fronts in. I had to put a load resistor across the ground and turn signal 12+ on the turn signal socket on both sides up front, and that solved the dimly lit inside indicator lights.

In my case I also had to solder on a diode as one of the legs for my front LED's because I was getting feedback and the running lights wouldn't work... may not be the case in yours though, depends on the bulb
In which wire did you put the diode? I put LED's in my front turn signals now my front side marker LED's and the front parking lights aren't working.