Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlamps draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Location: Santa Elena Barillas, Guatemala, near the Pacaya volcano (active)
Rtellezgt is on a distinguished road
Default Headlamps draining battery

Morning guys. When I bought my K5 2 years ago. I noticed that the headlights would not keep the same intensity all the time. As I accelerated, I could see there were slight changes in brightness, as if obeying to revs in the engine. Nevertheless, the voltmeter gauge kept the same reading all the time, so I did not pay attention to it.

Like 2 months ago, I noticed that whenever I switched the lights on, the voltmeter reading would drop to the edge of the red zone, but the car kept going. I did notice, though, that the dashboard lights would also go dimmer, but the reading kept just there, on the edge.

I last used it 2 days ago, but this morning the car refused to start.

I am suspecting it might be the alternator, or else, something to do with the fuses. But before I get into it this weekend, could anyone offer any hints, so that I do not go blind and guessing.

Cheers.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:52 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. Might be a bad alt. or it could be the wiring is corroded to the alt from the battery or from the battery to the engine block or frame. Something to look at before ripping out the alt to get it checked.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

x2 on what thogert said. I'm guessing alternator, but check the connections, first. Any auto parts store can check the alternator for free. Might throw a volt meter on the alternator if you can get it jumped off, and running.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cleburne red
x2 on what thogert said. I'm guessing alternator, but check the connections, first. Any auto parts store can check the alternator for free. Might throw a volt meter on the alternator if you can get it jumped off, and running.
Auto parts stores checking the alt is usually useless. Unless you go in there, and say ' I would like my alt tested" and when they ask why, just say "I just want it tested" instead of giving them a specific reason.
Once you give them a specific reason they can put different kinds of loads on them if I am not mistaken.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:25 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

That seems pointless to me. If they want to sell you an alt, they should short the dang thing to see how many amps are coming off it. Putting a small load on it wouldn't really say if it is bad or not as a poor alt may be able to generate a small current.

Couldn't say though, auto parts stores aren't known for their wisdom usually.