Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM
KDB
Beginning Member
KDB is on a distinguished road
Default HID Problems

Hello, i picked up some Xenon HIDS 9006 for my 2005 GMC Jimmy from a buddy i got them installed and everything works fine with the key forward. When i start the Jimmy i am having some intermittent firing for both sides. Ive gone through all the connections twice to make sure everything is good. It is a straight plug and play there is no relay that goes to the battery or anything. Ive read multiple post about upping the fuse from a 15amp to 20amp. I replaced both RT HDLP and LT HDLP from 15amp to 20amp.. Still no luck. i also found out my problem could be the AHL and if i apply the parking brake and release it that should fix my problem or if i disable the AHL all together. Is this really what i have to go through just to have HIDS? or are they just some cheap knock off HIDS. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yup, that is what you will have to go through to get them to work.
The problem is the AHL. Putting on the parking brake and releasing it will do nothing. Usually you push the parking brake in a couple clicks (so its not actually engaged but it trips the sensor turning off the AHL so you manually have to turn on your headlights with the switch.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:33 PM
KDB
Beginning Member

If i just disable my AHL with the 2.2k - OHMS Resistor Mod would that do the trick? i didn't have much luck with the parking brake instead i flicked on the high beams then turned them off and that seems to work. Would disabling the AHL take care of my DRL to? I'm sort of Confused by all this

Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I would not hurt to try the 2.2kohm resistor mod. I have heard of that working for some, not working for others.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

HIDs don't like 6v very much.

Hmm.... Maybe I'll have to come out with a HID DRL kit, which is just a wire harness with a 6v relay that sends 12v to the HIDs when the DRLs come on. Add some plug and play and it's golden.

Step 3: Profit.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM
KDB
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
HIDs don't like 6v very much.

Hmm.... Maybe I'll have to come out with a HID DRL kit, which is just a wire harness with a 6v relay that sends 12v to the HIDs when the DRLs come on. Add some plug and play and it's golden.

Step 3: Profit.

Sold! Take my money lol. Well I disabled the automatic headlights and that seemed to work good now when I want my hids on I just turn the dial and both come on I don't have to flick my high beams every time. I just need to figure out how to disable my DRL my Jimmy is a 05 Canadian built so I figured bending the prong on the DRL relay won't work for me. Still researching though