Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlight problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Beginning Member
2001BlazerLS is on a distinguished road

i cannot figure out whats going on with my headlights still. they wont turn on with my switch. so i thought the switch was bad so i went to the junkyard and pulled a switch. i put it in my truck and they started to work. after 3-4 days they stopped working again. so i took the switch apart cleaned the connections put the switch back in and they worked again for a couple days. the headlights stop working again. i just ordered a brand new switch put it in my truck and the running lights work but not my headlights. sometimes when i get in my truck start it and put in reverse they turn on for a couple seconds but then turn off.. i've checked my fuses i've tried to change the relay under the hood and still nothing. is there a possibility that my neutral safety switch is causing these problems? or the sensor on the dash?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member
2001BlazerLS is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down At a lost with these headlights

This morning i jumped in my truck to run to the ATM the headlights came on and stayed on for about a mile and a half. then they shut of.. i tried my switch and no lights.. please help me if you guys have any ideas that i might not have tried.....

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

ok this is probably coverd somewhere in the forums amunst alot of electrical issues but each one is diffrent heres mine as we can not figure it out. i went offroading one day and hit the right side off the dirt hard and it shut off my light on that side. my problem is that i have my fogs working and my driver side working with my high beams on the driver side. on the passegner side i have no headlight or high beam. when i connect a bulb to it its very dimm and my high beam lights come on the same time as my driving lights. i have no day time running lights at all anymore when shifted into drive. we tried to change the headlight switch out and both relays under the hood in the fuse box and still didnt solve the issue, i run hids for my driving lights and when i hook it up on the passenger side it flickers and shuts off. its not the hid ballast or bulb as i have spares kicking around i tried and did the same thing. when i hooked up the hid to the posative side of the plug for the headlight and the negative to the battery it just flickers and shuts off. when u ran the posative on the hid box to the battery directly and used the negative side on the box to the headlight terminal it worked fine to power up. i know jimmys and blazers are strage but mines a 2000 gmc jimmy with automatic headlights. plz help

Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sorry I skipped through most've that because it seemed like one deep breath. But something popped out & caught my eye - HID's. Where you have the HID's installed, either low or high beam - is that the same socket as your DRL's?
HID's do not work well & cause issues if they're in a low power environment. DRL's in a high beam or low beam useage are 12v but low power so they don't blind or are annoying. If your HID's are installed in what was/is your DRL socket, that could be the issue.
My 2002 used the high beams as the DRL's. I bent a prong on the relay to disconnect them & installed LED's upfront as the DRL's. Hooked up to an Ignition on circuit they're on all the time. DRL during the day & bling at night lol.
Haven't gotten pulled over yet (knock on wood) because modifying the stock DRL's tends to **** off the DOT.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

no my hids are in the low beam driving lights. i have eurolite cool blues in my high beams and are also used as my day time running lights.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point

To follow up to this thread:

The flickering lights was the alternator. It did this for probably four years before I finally had an issue with the alternator not maintaining the battery. I finally changed the alternator a couple months ago and the flickering lights stopped- they're nice and bright with the truck running.

The bright light indicator is apparently on all the time when BOTH your bright lights go out. Mine had both gone out at the same time for whatever reason.. and I apparently never thought to check the bulbs. I just checked and replaced the bulbs and the lights and indicator work as they should..

...I feel rather stupid for running for the last two years without bright lights.. when it was simply a set of bad bulbs... -_-