Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

LED light bar on blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:44 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Yeah actually after looking at your photos, it looks like there's more work involved bending the brackets to make them fit anything smaller than a 50" actually.

Either way, you definitely have to go with a curved bar. A straight one would surely hit the roof in the center.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

Ya it was a lot of bending to fit the 42 but it is a curved I didn’t think a straight one would look good. I’m looking for a 50 curved but I have to upgrade my alternator when I have everything on the bar pulses abit. But the guy who wired it didn’t use relays and hook to the battery just an accessory line inside so I have to fix that

Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Oh yeah you definitely want these things on relays. Even my 24" on the brush guard is powered via a relay that trips with the high beam circuit. My old 42" that I had mounted on my roof rack was rated at pulling 20-25 amps and it was a pretty cheap eBay bar. A better brighter one with a higher wattage LED array could certainly be capable of pulling 30+ amps which is WAY more than you want running through a directly wired switch in the dash...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 09-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 PM

I have to go out and get all the relays now cause the wiring guy threw them out he ran the ground off my command start ground I already fixed that

Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 AM

After driving the truck this morning I noticed two things about the new mounting solution.

The first one is an issue that I'm not quite sure how to help other than mounting it SOMEWHERE ELSE... Starting at about 50mph the light creates a crazy vibration that makes the cab vibrate and the rear view mirror to vibrate and is rather irritating... Going to try mounting the light to the brackets on one of the other sets of holes on the ends of the light to see it maybe moving it up or down a little will change the air flow around it and help out some.

The other issue I fixed a little. Had some crazy wind noise coming from the door jamb where I had the rubber door seal going under the windshield trim just in front of the brackets. All I did is flip the rubber weather stripping to run on the outside (top) of the windshield trim piece instead of under it as it is factory. Helped a TON, although there's still a little...

Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 AM

I get crazy wind noise with my cover off too and for the doors try bending out the top corner by the light abit it might be hitting the mount

Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 AM

I think I have mine mounted a little bit higher up i’ll get some more pictures after breakfast

Old 09-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Mine sits pretty close to my roof and windshield so not too much air gets under it

Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Well I got the annoying vibration to go away! Cost me a whopping $10 and about 10 minutes

Only thing I have to fix now is the weatherstripping wind noise, and I'll probably just try to build up the seal around the brackets as you did. What did you use there?

First I need to replace the hing bushings on the passenger side door though, top bushing has already broken in half and is falling out...

Old 09-24-2017, 05:12 PM

It’s like a sticky seal the hotter it gets the more it seals I can’t remember what it’s called

Quick Reply: LED light bar on blazer?