Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need help with wire harness.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 06:53 PM
BluBlazerKid is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with wire harness.

Asking anyone out there how I can repair and replace a section of wire harness that is partially burnt. Also asking what type of wire gauge would I need to do so

Old 07-19-2021, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Any wire connections under the hood you definitely want to solder and heatshrink cover the joints. Definitely use the same gauge or larger gauge wire as the factory. Do not use a smaller gauge. Once you've finished with all the connections, make sure to wrap the harness with wire loom to protect it, like most factory harnesses.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

If you can find a schematic, all the wires will be labeled with the wire's size, color and circuit number, e.g., "1 ORN 695" = '1 mm^2, orange, circuit number 695'. This will tell you the size.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I'm kind of a fan of these myself.

Solder seal connectors Solder seal connectors

Old 07-29-2021, 11:49 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Another option is to replace the affected harness with one from a pick-n-pull junkyard. The wiring harnesses on these blazers are pretty modular in places (put together with plugs). Unless the burnt section is in a main harness that would be the best repair! where is your harness burnt? Photos?

Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

It depends on how much room you have to work with and how many wires need to be repaired. In-line butt connectors are bulky and so they’re not practical if you have to do a bunch of them. That said, I agree with the previous post that the best ones are the heat shrink version because it seals the connection and you get strain relief. I use a different brand but the ones in that post are probably fine.

hands-down however the best way to do it is soldering and protection with heat shrink tubing. There is less bulk for each repair, it’s more mechanically sound, it’s more corrosion proof, and there’s a better electrical connection. you need good soldering skills to do this right. This includes cutting the wire back until you get to good clean copper because corroded strands don’t solder well. Then you have to learn proper soldering iron temperature and good solder flow to get a nice shiny solder joint. If you’re having trouble getting back to completely clean copper then the proper type of additional flux is needed to get proper solder wetting. Let me know if you need any help learning how to Solder and shrink wrap properly because I can help you there.

George

Old 07-29-2021, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
It depends on how much room you have to work with and how many wires need to be repaired. In-line butt connectors are bulky and so they’re not practical if you have to do a bunch of them. That said, I agree with the previous post that the best ones are the heat shrink version because it seals the connection and you get strain relief. I use a different brand but the ones in that post are probably fine.

hands-down however the best way to do it is soldering and protection with heat shrink tubing. There is less bulk for each repair, it’s more mechanically sound, it’s more corrosion proof, and there’s a better electrical connection. you need good soldering skills to do this right. This includes cutting the wire back until you get to good clean copper because corroded strands don’t solder well. Then you have to learn proper soldering iron temperature and good solder flow to get a nice shiny solder joint. If you’re having trouble getting back to completely clean copper then the proper type of additional flux is needed to get proper solder wetting. Let me know if you need any help learning how to Solder and shrink wrap properly because I can help you there.

George
This is really good advice from George.

The only thing I will add is the following:
  1. Learn what a "cold solder joint" is.
  2. Under the right circumstances, the self-fusing silicone tape (e.g., Rescue Tape) can provide really good protection and seal the solder joint from the elements.