Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need to Modify Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Need to Modify Alarm System

Need some help!

After being woken up a few times recently by my aftermarket alarm siren going off randomly at 7am (the neighbors love me)..I just want to pull the siren on my alarm and simply use it as my keyless entry system.

My question is..can I simply cut the wires going to the siren (its mounted under the hood at the cowl) and tie them off? Or does the alarm system need to see the resistance of the siren to function properly? Or fry the brain or something..

I also want to fix the root problem...which is a door switch on one of the doors...Ive noticed my interior dome light clicking on randomly while driving..but it is very intermittent. Im thinking that the door switch is tripping to "open" and setting off the alarm during the night. Disabling the siren will give me the RKE and time to track down the door sensors.

Not sure on the exact model of the alarm, it was installed when I got the truck...but its an Audiovox Pursuit series.

tl;dr -- Can I cut and remove the alarm siren, or do I need to measure resistance of the siren and replace with a resisitor to trick the brain into thinking the alarm is all ok?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cutting to the wires would only put a bandaid on the problem. We really can't help much since it's aftermarket equipment, but you definitely will need to find the source of the problem or you may find your truck with a dead battery one morning.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yea I know its an easy way out but the main idea is to give me some more time to track down the problem while not having to worry about the alarm waking up the neighbors and still allowing me to retain keyless entry.

I keep the dome override switch on for the temporary as well...just hoping a ground doesnt develop and drain the battery until I can get to it

Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can cut the siren power with no problems to the brain, It's just that are you sure it's tripping falsely? Lots of theifs like to set off alarms for days in a row until the owner gets mad enough believing it's false and leaves it unhooked then they try again and if it doesn't make a noise all your stereo goes away. Before unhooking the siren I would try to figure out what sensor is tripping it and replace it to fix the problem. Do you have an interior siren? those things are nasty loud when youre in a ar with it going off.