Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

New column, new ign cyl. and key passlock??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Blueovalwrench is on a distinguished road
Default New column, new ign cyl. and key passlock??

Hey guys I have a customers 98 blazer here and it was a mangled mess when it arrived. Long story short, I went and got a used column from a 98 Sonoma, It didnt have a key. I went to auto zone and bought a new GM lock cylinder( ignition switch) and key. I removed the switch from the Sonoma column carefully and installed the new one. I went to fire it up and it does nothing. Alldata says to let the ecu/bcm relearn by turning the key on for ten minutes etc. Still nothing. I have a few questions and a couple may be redundant. 1st the keys that came with the lock cyl. I bought are not chipped keys. If they are I dont see the chip. To me they are just a plain GM key with the black plastic around the out side of the top half. #2 if those keys are not the type that have the little resistor in them will they work with this column and or Blazer at all.#3 Regardless of anything I have tried to correct this, the 'security" light on the dash has not changed its status at any time. Its on, and has not flashed or went off at all. So with all that in mind, do any of you people who these well enough able to give me the cut and dry version of the right way to fix this mess. I read so many possible ways this could go on alldata I got head spins. Started getting flash backs of my younger days when I stayed at the watering hole too long. . Thanx guys in advance

RT