Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

No lights on opening door?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road
Default No lights on opening door?

Hey guys.

Got a 1997 Blazer 4dr LS. Got a weird quirk I'm curious about. The interior lights won't come on when I open the doors. I can manually turn them on with the wheel switch to the left of the steering wheel, but that's the only way they come on.

Any ideas where the bad connection may be? The little things the doors push on to turn lights off when closed move in and out fine, so I don't think they're stuck in the "off", but maybe a connection is?

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a dome overide button below the headlight switch ? If so is it pushed in?

Last edited by G0LFADD1CT; 02-24-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:44 PM

No, no button below the dimmer. This is all I have on my Blazer:

Old 02-24-2019, 06:29 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2000 LT is different. Sorry I can't be of help.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if you have a short in the door sensor. Check the door jam, for a little peg that sticks out, and gets pushed in when the doors shut. If its stuck in, or theres a short in that system, could effect it... I'm not too sure on wiring. Mines a 99 and is different, but door sensors ar typically the same....

Old 02-26-2019, 09:20 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Since you tried opening doors besides just the drivers door seems like there is a short somewhere, the lights work by using the dash switch you said...

Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM

As mentioned, I have opened all four doors and the lift gate. No interior lights come on when any doors open. The plastic pegs which stick out for both the drivers and passenger door move fine and feely in and out, but do not trigger interior lights.

However, by turning the dial pictured in my above post, all interior lights come on. This includes the overhead dome light and the passenger side footwell. There is no light on the driver's side footwell which comes on, so I am assuming a burnt out bulb for that specifically.

Any idea where the short may be, if there is one?

Thank you.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I could not find a wiring diagram for the interior (courtesy) lights applicable to your truck so I'm going from memory here. All of the bulbs have +12V power constantly supplied to them. The door jam switches are in the ground side of the circuit. There is an interior light control module that will complete the ground circuit if you adjust the dash illumination dimmer switch all the way to its brightest position (the detent position). So since you have working interior lights through this method, that shows that everything to the bulbs is working correctly, but there is some kind of issue on the ground side as it pertains to the door jam switches themselves.

I do not recall where the main ground is that all of the door jam switches run to, but as a troubleshooting step. you could try splicing in a new ground point to the body of the truck at any one of the switches. If all of the switches are connected together properly to each other on the ground side, then this should result in all of the switches working as they should. If it only results in that one switch working properly, then there is a problem where all of the circuits come together and I would need to find more specific information to assist further.

If anyone has access to a 1997 courtesy light schematic, please post it.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Not a '97, but a friend found this diagram for a '96, which I assume is similair enough?

https://www.truckforum.org/proxy.php...6cf35c99050892

However, I don't really get how to read wire diagrams. I can see where the "Door Jamb" switches are, and I can tell what 3 letters mean what color of wire, but beyond that I'm a bit lost.

Last edited by BorderCougah; 02-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I found a similar diagram, however it did not give connector or ground numbers that I could then cross-reference to a location. If you are planning on keeping the truck, a subscription to AllDataDIY.com is fairly economical and will give you all of the diagrams & component locations necessary to find the ground distribution points & do some testing for what is going on.