Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Offroad Light bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member
aura1 is on a distinguished road
Default Offroad Light bar?

Because there is no "lighting" section I wasn't sure where to post this. Feel free to move the thread to the proper area if this is not correct.

I am looking for a roof light bar. Ebay only seems to have those cheap looking aluminum ones that are "gutter" mounted?

First off, let me say I am no whiz when it comes to machining metal into a nice piece of usable bar. I am absolutely stupid when it comes to wiring and lighting.

So this entire install would be done at a reputable off road shop. The only problem I am having is finding a dang roof bar! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aura1
Because there is no "lighting" section I wasn't sure where to post this. Feel free to move the thread to the proper area if this is not correct.

I am looking for a roof light bar. Ebay only seems to have those cheap looking aluminum ones that are "gutter" mounted?

First off, let me say I am no whiz when it comes to machining metal into a nice piece of usable bar. I am absolutely stupid when it comes to wiring and lighting.

So this entire install would be done at a reputable off road shop. The only problem I am having is finding a dang roof bar! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I do not know when I will have time, but I went to the local pull and save (neils, look for the car on the arch... I am sure you MIGHT have heard of it, right next to the peoria speed way) and I picked up spare roof bars off of another blazer...

Plan is to first decide between 4-6 lights, and then drill holes and reinforce the member if need be.....

Old 10-09-2010, 04:14 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

How I did mine

Welded up some brackets to hold the bar to the factory roof rack mounts, Than welded those to a pice of C bar(looks like this symbol [ ). Than just drilled holes for my lights, put on a coat of undercoat and pow its was done.

How its held on

Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

well this is mine 4 now im going to rewire them with 10ga wire ..

Old 10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by djerock
well this is mine 4 now im going to rewire them with 10ga wire ..

Similar to what I would be doing, I need to find you sometime, you and Hanr....

Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I really would like to try and put one of these light bars on my truck:

I think they would look awesome on my blazer. Too bad they are so costly. I'm not willing to chip out $600 for an experimental project. You can get cheaper $250 ones on eBay, but still.

I'm sure with some trimming and stuff I could get them to fit. There is a Liberty in town with that bar on it. I wonder if he would notice if it went missing... It would be a fair trade. If he thinks he can have Chevy Irocs on his Jeep I should be able to have his Jeep light bar...

Sorry to steal the thread!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

C link

Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Oh snap!

Thanks for that link!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RangerG
I really would like to try and put one of these light bars on my truck:

I think they would look awesome on my blazer. Too bad they are so costly. I'm not willing to chip out $600 for an experimental project. You can get cheaper $250 ones on eBay, but still.

I'm sure with some trimming and stuff I could get them to fit. There is a Liberty in town with that bar on it. I wonder if he would notice if it went missing... It would be a fair trade. If he thinks he can have Chevy Irocs on his Jeep I should be able to have his Jeep light bar...

Sorry to steal the thread!

i been thinking of fiber glassing up something like that

Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Beginning Member
scanlojs is on a distinguished road

i just drilled into my roof rack, its a bit far back but still looks and works great, grounded it to the bolt holding the roof rack on and ran the wire through the door to a switch drilled out next to my light switch ****