Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Radio Looses Power Over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 04:23 PM
reway is on a distinguished road
Default Radio Looses Power Over Bumps

Well guys, another day another problem to fix! This one has been with me for some time now so let me start from the top. Just after doing the body lift (yr and a bit ago) I took it off-road and I remember the radio was constantly cutting in and out over the bumps, this was the first time it did this. So I found out a bit after all of the body mounts were loose (I didn't have a proper torque spec when I installed them) so I tightened all those to proper torque and radio cutting in and out was gone. Now fast forward to when I crashed the blazer four-wheeling, the whole way driving it home after I crashed the radio started doing the same thing cutting in and out constantly, I thought it was probably because the rad support was very bent and the grounds on the rad support could also be messed up. So now here I am after rebuilding it and the new rad support is all tightened I'm still having the radio cut in and out on me while I drive just on a normal road! It always happens over a bump, but not every bump, it might happen once or twice a day now. I remember Les I emailed you about this and you suggested I connect the rad support, frame, and engine all together with some braided wire? I may try that now, but I really want to figure out whats actually going on here. So, George would you have the wiring diagram for the stereo? Where is the location of the ground for the stereo? I have taken the stereo out for this problem and looked around for anything that would cause it to cut in and out, I even re soldered the power and ground wires with no luck.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:01 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I had a intermittent radio problem some years ago in my 89 S15 Jimmy. It turned out to be the radio power fuse was good but was loose in the fuse box holder. New fuse fixed the problem. The problem has not returned.

Old 10-27-2022, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Whats your year again Zach?

George

Old 10-27-2022, 03:46 PM

Sorry George, it's a 2005.

Old 10-27-2022, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran

Here ya go

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Radio 2005.pdf (388.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-27-2022, 07:03 PM

Thanks George, I see the words "Shift Interlock" under the wiring diagram and this has brought some other questions to light, let me start from the top again. So a few days after rebuilding the blazer after the crash I was hearing this clicking sound coming from the gear shifter all the time, I came to figure out it was the shift interlock engaging and disengaging, I would not have to press the brake in park anymore to switch gears. So I'm wondering if anything else grounds out to G203? Possibly the shift interlock? As I'm writing this I realize that is probably not likely as the radio cutting off and engaging and disengaging of the shift interlock would not happen at the same time. Also, any idea what I need to take off and the actual location of this ground? It just says behind the right side of the dash and in between a few splice packs. If the whole dash has to come out here to figure out what's going on, that would really be great LOL my brake pedal has been loose since I got the blazer pretty much and it wobbles and rattles while I drive but I can't get to the bolt holding it in and replace the bushing without taking the whole dash off! I will have a check on the fuse as well, I will just turn it on ACC and try to wiggle the fuse while it's plugged in.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran

G203:

Fog lamp switch
Headlamp switch
Cigar lighter
Ashtray lamp
Instrument panel cluster
Rear wiper washer switch
Transfer case shift control switch
HVAC control assembly
Radio
Drivers door jam switch

In addition to all of that G203 is ganged together with G204:

Left auxiliary power outlet
Write auxiliary power outlet
Audio amplifier

If that ground was out you’d have a ton of problems. If you’re going to take that radio out I would back probe The two Rdo Power lines at the radio connector and that way you can monitor to see if you’re losing power when the radio goes out.

George

Old 10-27-2022, 09:22 PM

Thanks George, I will have to see closer when it happens again if I have the instrument cluster lights still when the radio goes out, the thing is the power only cuts out for a second maybe not even, it just takes the radio a while to boot up again. I have taken the radio out already for this problem and turned it on ACC with the radio plugged in, gave all of the wires a good shake trying to simulate going over a bump and get it to cut out and it never did. I re-soldered the power and ground wires but it didn't do anything either, the thing is I only remember 1 power wire, it's an aftermarket radio, I think that's why. I will check the fuse and keep driving it for a day or two to get the radio to cut out again and try to see if I lose power elsewhere as well, as I'm writing this I'm thinking if I have my tablet plugged into the cig lighter while I'm driving it should tell me when/if it stops charging, that might be an easier way to just see if the cigarette lighter looses power as well.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road
Default Wheres George

I need ya buddy

Old 02-28-2023, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran

What's up?

George