Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Rear window defogger relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear window defogger relay

Recently I pulled the relay looking for a blown fuse. When I went to put it back in I realized it can plug in two different ways as evidenced by the mark at the corner of the relay. Could someone compare the one in my picture to the one in your rig to see if the corner mark is pointing towards the engine or away from it? The picture is taken from the drivers side front fender.

Attached Thumbnails Rear window defogger relay-file-6-.jpeg  
Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 PM

Anybody?

Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
Recently I pulled the relay looking for a blown fuse. When I went to put it back in I realized it can plug in two different ways as evidenced by the mark at the corner of the relay. Could someone compare the one in my picture to the one in your rig to see if the corner mark is pointing towards the engine or away from it? The picture is taken from the drivers side front fender.
Here is my engine compartment fuse/relay box in my 1999 LT 4dr/4wd

Front of the vehicle is to the left and the left fender is at the bottom.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Thank you Christine. Mines in upside down.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These relays can be installed in any orientation that they fit without worry (i.e. there is no up side down, etc.). The contacts for the switched & switching sides are across corners which is what facilitates this functionality and polarity on the switching side does not matter. If it did, the pins on the relay would be designed to only fit into the socket one way.

The reason for the corner mark on that relay body is due to the fact that the relay itself has a normally closed and normally open contact & associated pins (5th pin would be the normally closed pin). In this case, the normally closed pin is not present. If the relay had the 5th pin, then it would only have one orientation that it could be installed. You can verify this by pulling the relay and taking a look at the bottom side. You'll notice another pin that is through the base of the relay, but does not have the spade portion for connection to the fuse/relay center terminals.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:08 PM

That makes sense. I was thinking that if it had to go in one way only why didn't they make it impossible to get it reversed. Thx.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
These relays can be installed in any orientation that they fit without worry (i.e. there is no up side down, etc.). The contacts for the switched & switching sides are across corners which is what facilitates this functionality and polarity on the switching side does not matter. If it did, the pins on the relay would be designed to only fit into the socket one way.

The reason for the corner mark on that relay body is due to the fact that the relay itself has a normally closed and normally open contact & associated pins (5th pin would be the normally closed pin). In this case, the normally closed pin is not present. If the relay had the 5th pin, then it would only have one orientation that it could be installed. You can verify this by pulling the relay and taking a look at the bottom side. You'll notice another pin that is through the base of the relay, but does not have the spade portion for connection to the fuse/relay center terminals.
I suspected the orientation might not matter but your explanation clears it up. Thanks!