Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Remote start install, do I have Passlock or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member
Mazatzal Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Remote start install, do I have Passlock or not?

Hey all, been lurking a while, mostly searching for answers... but my searches aren't returning what I need to know this time.

Going to install a remote start on a 1999 GMC Jimmy SLT, 4 door, 4wd. I just moved to Nebraska, where there is snow from Arizona, where there isn't. I will be parking on the street and I want heat in the morning. I'm a mechanical engineer and have done auto wiring before, so I'm installing it myself.

I have read in multiple threads that 1998+ trucks had Passlock standard, which (as I understand) would require a bypass module or some rewiring in the column to allow the remote start to function. However, I don't believe I have Passlock. I have no "PK3" markings on my key, and I've had copies of my key made out of solid metal blanks that work perfectly fine. Is there maybe an RPO code that will tell me if I have Passlock?

So if I don't have Passlock, will that mean I don't need a bypass module/rewiring? Or do I have it all wrong and I'll need a bypass module regardless?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member
Mazatzal Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Well, I do have passlock. Started wiring the system and opened up the console. Boom, wires to the tumbler.

I guess I didn't fully understand how the system worked. It just measures the resistance across the key, and most metal keys have similar enough resistance to allow the system to function. This explains my two copies working perfectly. Now time to disable passlock for good....

Anyway, if other newbies find this thread, this is for you.