Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Reverse Lights to LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 AM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Reverse Lights to LEDs?

i was just wondering if i could replace my reverse lights with LEDs. its a 1998 gmc jimmy. the reverse light number is 3156. do i just buy those number lights in LEDs? and also can i do the same for my brake lights with LEDs? the brake lights number is 3057. and should i buy those in red or clear?

also where is a good place to buy them?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JRP22
i was just wondering if i could replace my reverse lights with LEDs. its a 1998 gmc jimmy. the reverse light number is 3156. do i just buy those number lights in LEDs? and also can i do the same for my brake lights with LEDs? the brake lights number is 3057. and should i buy those in red or clear?

also where is a good place to buy them?
Yes you just buy those bulb numbers in LED. It will be like a 3057/3157/another number. They are all the same bulb. Yes you can replace both your brake lights and reverse lights. Red it always handy to have for the brake lights, in case you decide to move to clear lenses, plus they wont hurt behind the stock tails.

Note that if you change the brake lights, they will blink super fast when you signal, as the LEDs have a much lower resistance than the stock incandescent bulbs. You can solve that with an LED flasher module ($20 give or take) or by modifying your stock flasher (no going back).

Check out superbrightleds.com or vleds.com for some bulbs or flashers. I purchased every LED bulb I have so far off of ebay with no complaints, and I've replaced nearly every bulb inside and out.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

be carefull, i just received my ebay back-up led lights, i bought those with about 30 leds, and i had to dremel my taillights a little bit to make them fit.

they are a bit bigger than original bulbs.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Regardless of which lenses you have (colored or clear), using the correct color of bulb will yield the most visible light possible Red LED to Red Lens, and so on.

Nothing saying you can't use clear LED's though; it'd be just like the bulbs you're replacing.

Aaron

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

For whatever it's worth, most LEDs (especially the cheaper kind like on the common led bulbs) produce specific wavelengths of light. They put out a couple of colors to give the appearance of white light but do not include the full color spectrum. Regular halogen bulbs produce a smoother spectrum of white light that includes all wavelengths, the red plastic taillight (or coating on the bulb) helps block out all wavelengths except for red.

Using red LEDs will be much brighter than white LEDs that don't produce much red light in the first place.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
For whatever it's worth, most LEDs (especially the cheaper kind like on the common led bulbs) produce specific wavelengths of light. They put out a couple of colors to give the appearance of white light but do not include the full color spectrum. Regular halogen bulbs produce a smoother spectrum of white light that includes all wavelengths, the red plastic taillight (or coating on the bulb) helps block out all wavelengths except for red.

Using red LEDs will be much brighter than white LEDs that don't produce much red light in the first place.
I didn't want to go in to that much detail....... but EXACTLY my point

Aaron

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
JRP22 is on a distinguished road

thanks for clearing things up guys. and thanks RangerG for everything and the websites. ill be sure to check those out