Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

S10 Blazer tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

if you sand/polish out the texture on the inside so you just had a red plastic lens with not a lot of distortion its going to set them apart from all the other stock blazer tail lights out there, but being as old as it is, i bet all he has to do is take the lens of and remove the diffusing lens inside.
to go from this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/3496547776/
to this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clintonscanon/5065830039/all i had in there were some cheapo Gen1 LED tails that are equal to crappy tire LEDs but holy F they lit up like crazy without the diffuser in there and a quick coat of regular ol carnuba wax.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
if you sand/polish out the texture on the inside so you just had a red plastic lens with not a lot of distortion its going to set them apart from all the other stock blazer tail lights out there, but being as old as it is, i bet all he has to do is take the lens of and remove the diffusing lens inside.
to go from this:

to this:

all i had in there were some cheapo Gen1 LED tails that are equal to crappy tire LEDs but holy F they lit up like crazy without the diffuser in there and a quick coat of regular ol carnuba wax.
I'm doing this tomorrow!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Starting Member

warm up the edges with a heat gun or blow dryer and it softens up the rubbery glue they use to seal the lights theres usually a couple tabs holding the lens on to the backing of the light too, a pry with a flathead gets past this, but keep your heat gun handy.

ive heard of people using the oven and putting the lights in for 10 minutes or something at really low temps. but i would trust the heat gun more than an oven.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
warm up the edges with a heat gun or blow dryer and it softens up the rubbery glue they use to seal the lights theres usually a couple tabs holding the lens on to the backing of the light too, a pry with a flathead gets past this, but keep your heat gun handy.

ive heard of people using the oven and putting the lights in for 10 minutes or something at really low temps. but i would trust the heat gun more than an oven.
Well considering the whole cars gets 100F when its hot out, I would say 200F might be ok. My oven's lowest temp is 170F

I'm going to try take them apart tomorrow though and find out.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Starting Member

its really easy, ive done it for a friend without even heating them up! lol it was on another lumina like my old one though. i would imagine the smaller blazer tail lights would be even easier to do though.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Starting Member

man I just tried it cause I couldn't sleep, and they will not come apart AT ALL

I chipped a corner off and it seems they are superglued on.

Not only that, but the inside where it's all squared or whatever has no way of coming off

would love to be wrong though...

anyone confirm/deny?

Last edited by 96jimmyslt4x4; 02-27-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Starting Member

oooh ****, you need a dremmel and something very narrow. those r glued together. i for some raisn thot u had the older style of lights. my bad, i wouldnt recomend doing this mod to these lights (work>gain)

if you still want to separate them, a razor blade (with a metal holder for the blade and plastic around that, like a box cutter) when heated up with a propane torch works great for cutting plastic.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:19 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

You can just buy tails that look like that lumina

I got these off ebay

I'm running LED bulbs in the tail lights and 55 watt halogen 1156 in the reverse lights. They blow the factory lighting out of the water.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by neo71665

I got these off ebay

I'm running LED bulbs in the tail lights and 55 watt halogen 1156 in the reverse lights. They blow the factory lighting out of the water.
The reverse lights are not really needed to upgraded in my opinion, but the brake lights are.

How do they look at night? In day time? Can you take some pictures? (timer on, no flash, camera set down/tripod for best results)

Where did you buy your lights?

Old 02-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by neo71665
thanks, i wanted a simple but different look and im not a big fan of that night shades spray, though not totally against it. i did up a friends sunfire tail lights and it looked pretty good. that and its lasted over a year now and hasnt peeled, flaked, faded or otherwise changed its look since it was done.

Quick Reply: S10 Blazer tail lights