Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

S10 Blazer tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
The reverse lights are not really needed to upgraded in my opinion, but the brake lights are.

How do they look at night? In day time? Can you take some pictures? (timer on, no flash, camera set down/tripod for best results)

Where did you buy your lights?

I'll work on some pics if I can get the time, been real busy here lately.

The reverse lights are my favorite upgrade. I like being able to see while backing up. With those in the factory holes I never have to even turn the ones on in my bumpers.

I got the lights off ebay

Last edited by neo71665; 02-27-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

LED reverse lights are going to be my next upgrade

Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
LED reverse lights are going to be my next upgrade

They are pretty much gonna be only for looks. LEDs just don't produce the light unless in a specialty designed housing. I had them for a bit but they just didn't have the output I wanted.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by neo71665
They are pretty much gonna be only for looks. LEDs just don't produce the light unless in a specialty designed housing. I had them for a bit but they just didn't have the output I wanted.
For reverse, maybe.

They aren't on enough to be noticed, but as for the LED tail lights I've seen, they are much more effective than the big round blurry blob of light that old car tail light bulbs produce.

They aren't brighter but they are more effective and noticeable.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by neo71665
you probably had GEN1 LEDs from china, theyre cheap and look cool up close or not behind a reflector, whereas a GEN3 or even GEN2 will light up waaay brighter.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Starting Member

you probably had GEN1 LEDs from china, theyre cheap and look cool up close or not behind a reflector, whereas a GEN3 or even GEN2 will light up waaay brighter.
I noticed the pictures you posted about them, and they seemed to be SMD's with a cover over them...

I could be wrong though?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 AM

The latter gens do light up and appear brighter but the simple fact is unless in a properly designed housing they still will not cast the light like a halogen bulb does. You can fool the eye with more focused LEDs but the light still washes out sooner. Trying to get too wide of a pattern will in effect cause some of it to reflect off the housing in a retrofit but it scatters easily and still washes out sooner.

Just a hint of something I made about a year back cause I was told it couldn't be done. Notice they are superflux and not gen one canister LEDs. I don't buy my LEDs from rat shack. Nor do I buy them from anybody that I can't get good spec sheets on and promise if I buying in bulk I can't get them all out of the same production run so the colors match exactly. That doesn't mean cheap china knock offs.

Yeah I been playing with LEDs for a few years now.

Last edited by neo71665; 02-28-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Starting Member

a brighter bulb is a brighter bulb if you ask me. when it comes to reverse lights im not looking for 500' of light. just maybe 10'. regular old incandescent halogen bulbs. the 360 degree lights from putco are the ones ive always used since i discovered them for reverse lights. and then if that isnt enough we can always throw a 20" rigid LED light bar on the back (are you guys familiar with rigid lighting?) if not, i suggest you go and check out some of their products

but i still like lightforce, who else has a "HID Tactical Flashlight" hahaha

Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Amp
Amp is on a distinguished road

Neo, I was thinking about buying some "Altezza " style tail lights off of ebay, pullin them apart and building an LED board like you did but have it fit into the tail light. I basically want a oem style tail light, that has a rectangle of LED lights in red, then a small reverse light at the bottom, a clear lens, and a LIGHT coat of night shades, "smoked" if you will, God I hate all the black out stuff. Any ways, i haven't clicked the search button YET cause I'm typing this, but are there write-ups on how to do those LED "Bars"?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Starting Member

Have you guys seen the LED's they have now?

They have them with 50 to a unit.

I'm sure you can find something that will be good for just simply replacing the stock bulb, if it can fit.

Quick Reply: S10 Blazer tail lights