Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Stock fog lights to auxilary lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Beginning Member
tmurph01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Stock fog lights to auxilary lights?

I will be installing my Safari/Light bar on this Saturday and may go ahead and add the lights to it if I get them. While I was trying to figure up how I would power and switch the lights I may have thought about a solution, but I wanted your alls input to see if it would work.

I have an '01 Jimmy with the fog lights in the headlight housing. I don't use these, so I was thinking about removing the wirefrom the fog lights and running to the auxilary lights on the safari bar. This way I can use my fog light switch to turn them on/off plus I will only have to run the wires from the auxilary lights to behind the headlights. If this will work, than I will also switch out my headlights for the style w/o the fog lights.

Will this work? Thoughts...

Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
Motomatt27 is on a distinguished road

I have the same factory fog lights and spliced in some auxiliary lights to them. So far I have not had any problem doing this, so I can not see why running the wire to other lights wouldn't work.
If you decide to do your idea, please post how it went. I'm thinking of doing the same thing eventually after a bumper mod. Thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member
tmurph01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well,.. I did this yesterday. I just ran the wires from the stock fog lights to the auxillary lights. Fired them up.. and no problems. It actually worked out quite well.

I found a set of headlights w/o the fog lights for a Jimmy for $60 for both, so they should be in next week!