Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

weekend project, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road
Default weekend project, few questions

ok so today i played hooky from work and made a trip to harbor freight. i got some kc knock offs, some blue led strips, which are already installed, and some other odds and ends. so this weekend will be blazer weekend. i will be mounting the lights to my roof rack, my question is: do you guys think i should run the power to the switch that will turn the relay on directly from the battery, from the headlight switch so that when i turn the headlights on i then have the option for the roof lights to come on, or to the ignition wire?.
also any wire colors that go with your opinion would be appreciated,

thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I like this method

its safe and easy

Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input gio. i was just trying to think of a failsafe way to wire it, that way if i loan someone the blazer they dont leave it on and kill my battery, when they play the what does this switch do. i do it at work all the time. only payed for it once when i car alarm would not shut off. hehehehehe

Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

When i wired mine up i did exactly like gio diagram execpt i ran the battery straight to terminal 30 and spliced my remote wire off the pos. On my low beams and ran that to a toggle then to terminal 86 so if i forget to turn my lights they turn off when i shut the truck off just my. 02. Good luck and have fun.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
Lan Harjochee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazer_LT
thanks for the input gio. i was just trying to think of a failsafe way to wire it, that way if i loan someone the blazer they dont leave it on and kill my battery, when they play the what does this switch do. i do it at work all the time. only payed for it once when i car alarm would not shut off. hehehehehe
my question is: do you guys think i should run the power to the switch that will turn the relay on directly from the battery, from the headlight switch so that when i turn the headlights on i then have the option for the roof lights to come on, or to the ignition wire?.

---------------------------------------------------------

flexible image
Led tube supplier
LED Tube

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

I have mine getting power directly to the fuse box to relays, to fuse + switch. This way, I have complete control over my roof lights. 2 inner lights are on 1 switch, 2 outer are on another

-OSS

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Lippyp is on a distinguished road

I don't know about over there but here in the UK any auxiliary lamps other than front fog lamps have to be wired so the only come on when high beam is on so mine will get power to switch the relay from the headlight wire through a switch inside so I have the option to turn them on or off, main power obviously comes via a fuse direct from the battery. This means if you have the roof lights or front driving lights on when you switch to low beam they all go out so you don't blind oncoming drivers.