The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

2002 Silverado Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, now its gotten worse, sort of. Once it crops up the issue (typically comes up in first gear when accellerating) and then shifts up to the next gear, i lose all power and it wont rev over 2000 rpm unless i let completely off the throttle wait a few seconds and try again.

Now this only started happening since I replaced the PCV valve and tube so I'm not sure if thats messing with it but I cant imagine why it would when I fixed something that was broken..... Anyways, I'm going to get a vacuum tester or another suggestion i got was to use a fog machine and let it flow smoke into the intake with the TB open and see if/where smoke leaks out from. I'll try the actual tool first but if that doesnt work I'll try the fog machine.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Hey folks, just thought I would let ya all know that i finally fixed the Silverado.....mostly. So since I last posted I had the intake manifold off and had it leak tested, all good there. Had the vacuum checked, no leaks there either. So at this point I'm out of ideas so I gave in and had a shop I trust take a look at it. After telling them what I did to fix the issue and what its still doing they were almost certain it had to be the catalytic converters. SO, to test it they disconnected the exhaust at the manifolds before the cats and gave it a test run. It was a night and day difference. They gave the truck a good once over anyway though and said it all looked good otherwise.

So I took the truck home Monday and picked up a Magnaflow cat kit at Oreilly's and proceeded to install it. Went pretty much like butter until removing the last nut the held the cats to the manifold (since the shop buttoned everything back up before giving the truck back to me). The stupid nut stripped the threads on the stud and itself and got stuck on the stud just free spinning. Lets just say i was pissed. I did get it off with an air powered cut off wheel but I didnt have stud to replace it and it was getting late so Oreilly's was closed. Pretty much said screw it at that point and figured I would just install the new kit sans the last nut and stud and just live with it for a while. So right now its all together but the driver side connection with the broken stud has an exhaust leak at the joint. I got a new stud and nut today so I'm going to fix it for good tomorrow.

Even though, with the exhaust leak, the truck runs SOOOOOOOOO much better. All the power is back and it actually feels stronger than when i first bought the truck. I'm quite pleased with the result. Now I can finally stop worrying about the engine and get around to a nice power programmer upgrade

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Glad to hear it's running better, how much did that cat run you? I have a Magnaflow high-flow cat that was installed forever ago and it seems to finally be dying. Been thinking about replacing it soon...

You ever get your Blazer SAS'd? You'll also be happy to know that there are 8 or 9 people on the forum who've all done the 2dr spare tire carrier onto a 4dr mod, I think you were the first one to ever do it lol

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Glad to hear it's running better, how much did that cat run you? I have a Magnaflow high-flow cat that was installed forever ago and it seems to finally be dying. Been thinking about replacing it soon...

You ever get your Blazer SAS'd? You'll also be happy to know that there are 8 or 9 people on the forum who've all done the 2dr spare tire carrier onto a 4dr mod, I think you were the first one to ever do it lol
The whole kit with both cats and the pipes was $460 after tax. Not too bad really considering the GM kit was about the same cost and the generic brand ones were only about $50 cheaper.

The blazer isnt SAS'ed yet but thats coming soonish, I hope. I actually have cash to do it I just need time now. Actually funny enough I found a kit to do the SAS and its not that expensive. Matter of fact now that I did a google search it seems several companies make SAS kits for the S-Series Blazers (bout time if ya ask me.....)

Here are the two I'm looking at.

https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...xle-Hanger-Kit

94-04 Chevy S10 solid axle conversion kit (leaf springs)

However beyond those the axles themselves still need to be rebuilt and regeared, i need an astro van steering box and jeep XJ pitman arm, I gotta get the brakes sorted (found a source for all the parts I need for discs all round), gotta figure out the front driveshaft and how that going to work around the exhaust (hopefully it can go under the exhaust crossover with a little modification to the exhaust), and the transmission needs a good once over since its still kinda flaky in 4th gear (though I'm gonna just flush it and see if it fixes it, if not then I wont worry about it till it breaks). In short lots of work yet to do.

One thing I have done though is I just replaced the fuel pump since that died 3 weeks ago, so for the first time in 7 years I have a working fuel gauge in the blazer, LOL.