The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Gf's Galant Has Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road
Default Gf's Galant Has Issues

Didn't want to gum up the Blazer Engine & Transmission forum with a non-Blazer question. Mods feel free to move this, if not in the appropriate section.

Pretty sure this issue is related to the IAC Valve from what Kyle helped me figure out a few months ago. Here's the history. A few months I tried to reset the SRS (Secondary Restraint System) light on my gf's 2000 Galant. I did so by disconnecting the battery for a little while. Turns out that doesnt get the SRS light to go away and its a common problem for Mitsubishi. I started her car up and it kept stalling out. Kyle diagnosed that the computer had to relearn the IAC valve position. Sure enough, after just starting it a few times and feeding it gas, everything worked itself out and the car was driveable. Well, I forgot to clean the IAC valve.

Her battery was going dead and not holding a charge anymore so I got her a new battery on Saturday. I let the guy at Advance install it for free, and he did everything properly. After he went back in the store I double checked anyways and everything was tightened down properly. I started the car and it stalled out. Figured it was the IAC like before when Kyle was right on the money. Started up on the second try and I drove it back to her house just fine, with the exception of the car has had vibrations and a low idle since she got it from her mom. Today, we took her car to school and when I started it, it stalled. She said it did it to her when she left her place this morning. We get to school just fine, aside from the usual low idle and slight vibration when stopped at a light. When I parked, I turned off the AC and the car shut off on its own, smoothly as if I had turned the ignition off. Same thing happened later when we got to my house and I turned off the AC. Started the car a little later, and turned the wheel from side to side while in park, and sure enough, it stalled it smoothly.

So, IAC valve needs to be cleaned, right guys?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Well, FYI for anyone has ever has similar issues. It was the IACV. Bought some Valvoline throttle body cleaner, sprayed in the TB opening that leads down to the IACV on her car, opened the TB blade a bit and sprayed some in there. Let it soak for a few minutes and problem is gone. Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

Good to know......I had a 2000 galant........but never had that problem.....that was a good car.....the only brand new car I ever had.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM

I love driving that car. Good little pep, lots of low-end HP. But talk about a restrictive air flow system on that 3.0 V6. I'm going to put a CAI on there once I finish the current plans on the Blazer.