PC Builders - Page 2 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 PM

blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richphotos View Post
I at some point am going to get some plecos but i need to find ones that are larger already
That shouldn't be too hard to find; keep your eye on local craigslist adds or local pet stores. Lots of people look to get rid of their once 2-3 inch long Pleco not knowing it'll grow into a 24" long monster...
Old 01-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Lesmyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4 View Post
Anyone else here on the forums into building their own PC's?

Post up with your ventures and pics of builds

I started tinkering with them back in elementary school (seriously) before I knew what the heck I was doing lol. I remember opening them up, being mesmerized by the complexity inside, wanting to know how they did what they did... Eventually got brave enough to try and swap a sound card from an old IBM that didn't work into a Gateway that did, didn't know anything about drivers so never knew why it "just didn't work" in Windows 95 at the time :P Through trial and error I learned about how some RAM sticks could work in other computers and began combining them to get a whopping 256MB of RAM!... This is back when a 5200rpm 2GB hard drive was considered awesome mind you. Fast-forward a decade and I was building them from scratch once I learned about Newegg back in about 2004. When I got my first real job is when the hobby really took off, that is, when I could actually buy cool stuff lol. My first ground-up build was VERY basic... A 478 socket Pentium 4 single core 3.0ghz with HT, 2GB of RAM, Intel motherboard, a 300GB hard drive, NVidia GeForce 6800 512mb AGP graphics card, wrapped in a case with a clear side window lit up with blue cold cathode lighting and clear LED lit 80mm fans buzzing away at full throttle all the time, it was a CRT 1024x768 resolution Halo playing BEAST! That setup went through a couple changes over the next few years, RAM upgrades, graphics card changes (this is when the MSI brand left a bad taste in my mouth after having two of their graphics cards fail on me...), swapped into a completely different case. Could only get so much out of the 478 socket and AGP graphics though... I got a hand-me-down used Dell that although I didn't care too much for, it had a Core2 and DDR2 in it and a PCI-E slot, so that expanded my upgrade possibilities. Only thing I ever did to it was stick a Radeon HD4870 in it and 4GB of RAM and it did great for a few years. I retired it with my second ground-up build when Intel launched the i7 core CPU's. I ordered the parts and built a rig around an i7 920 about a month after they first launched. MSI brand motherboard (decided to try MSI again despite them leaving me broken down in the past...), i7 920 CPU, 6GB Corsair XMS RAM in triple channel, 1tb 7200rpm WD hard drive, carried the HD4870 over, all wrapped in an Antec 902 case. It killed everything I could throw at it! The HD4870 died and I stepped up to an HD6970, but other than that I made no other changes to the setup.

After a couple years the motherboard dropped 2 RAM slots (that was my last straw with MSI...), so I tossed the setup and built a new rig in the same Antec 902 case around an AMD FX 8350 and an Asus motherboard, 16GB of HyperX DDR3 (way overkill, but I took it even further later lol), new Corsair 750 watt power supply, which I continue to rock to this day! Recently I installed a Radeon RX480 8gb (before the recent price spike due to mining...) and another 16gb of matching Hyper X RAM (32gb total, WAY overkill, but it filled up those 4 slots with 4 x 8gb lol), a 1tb Crucial SSD (best upgrade EVER!), and stuck on a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler as the original AMD cooler than came with the FX8350 was VASTLY inadequate, and noisy... Just last week I overclocked the setup for the first time (been running stock 4.0ghz clock speeds since I built it), just to 4.5ghz, but enough to breath a little more life back into it.

Just recently I built another ground-up PC, this time for the wife for Christmas This one built around Ryzen. Ryzen 3 1200, Asrock motherboard, 8gb Crucial Ballistix RAM, 500gb M.2 SSD, an GeForce 1060 3gb, all inside a DIYPC case (which I'm honestly pleased with it's quality despite it's price!), and lit up with some RGB strips inside and some RGB Coolermaster peripherals. I broke down and gave it to her early this past Friday, and needless to say she LOVES it! I find it funny how this entry level gaming PC is right on par, almost identical benchmark scores, as my at one time enthusiast level PC... And I built her PC specifically with future upgrades in mind. I plan to double the RAM in the future, and upgrade an a Ryzen 5 at least. But right now it ROCKS! It's rock solid stable overclocked to 3.5ghz without touching the core voltage, stays cool and quiet, and right now takes everything she throws at it and begs for more!
I've been building them since the days of 286 AT's with 6 MHz processors, 10 MB hard drives, and 2 MB of ram. Somewhere around 1990. Gave up trying to stay on the edge of the technology by 2005. Last one I built myself was for a Linux Mint box 3 years ago - basically a motherboard/processor with everything built into the motherboard except the wireless card. A mid-tower with a premium motherboard, last year's (at the time) hot processor, 8GB quality ram, big name-brand power supply, 2 large hard drives, and two DVDs. I sometimes play with video. Linux for day to day use, as I find the Internet to be too scary a place for on-line banking and other transactions through Windows. Finally changed the case after 15 years of upgrades. In the mid-90's I tried to stay on the leading edge of the technology, but no more. Believe me, the latest Word and Windows doesn't run any faster on a new computer than WordPerfect 5.1 did in DOS on a 286 back in 1990. Computers get faster and software developers get lazier - plus Linux doesn't need as much system resources. I don't game, so I don't have to have the latest and greatest. I have recently discovered Virtual Machines running VirtualBox under Linux and have installed my sole legit full copy of Windows (XP) there, but looks like the on-line registration for WinXP is now history. I wonder if I can figure out how to take my Windows install on the second drive and run it successfully in VirtualBox...................

For my home theater system, I do have a mid-tower poking out from behind the TV. It's just a cheapie Lenovo from Best Buy and is a Windows 10 machine. Long-range wireless keyboard and mouse so I can sit on the sofa and control it. It has HDMI out plugged directly into my Denon Receiver, and I rather enjoy the 6-channel sound from high quality (admittedly rather large) downloads through a full set of Klipsch speakers. Is great for concert videos and surround sound movies. AFAIK, no one is able to send raw 6-channel sound through HDMI using Linux. I prefer to use the DAC in my Denon Receiver (instead of in the cheapie sound card in the motherboard) to do the sound decoding job, so know that all computer generated surround sounds are definitely not equal.

For automotive use, I have an old Asus Netbook running Windows XP. It still has a good battery and has Scan XL Pro and HP Tuners software on it.

Last edited by Lesmyer; 01-02-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 AM

error_401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to see that others are into LINUX as well

I'm on LINUX since 2004 again.

Have a couple 500 GB hard-drives sitting in my drawer waiting to be inserted into my IBM Intellistation Z to form a 1 TB raid. Hope I will find the time to finish that by the end of JAN.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Lesmyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by error_401 View Post
Nice to see that others are into LINUX as well

I'm on LINUX since 2004 again.
Yeah, I think Linux Mint with MATE desktop (and Linux apps in general) have finally developed into something beautiful that installs super-easy, is very stable, is secure on Internet, and is very good for my daily use (not to mention FREE). As a non-gamer, there is really no downside for me. Sometimes I have gone a couple of months without rebooting, with computer going to sleep all the time when not in use. I started first playing a little with Slackware in about 2002 (UGHH!! - what a horrible time to try Linux, and Slackware was Mondo-Geek Linux - SO difficult to install and use). Then started using Ubuntu occasionally in 2008. Finally went to Linux Mint and daily use in about 2012. I'm one of the people who wants a full desktop system with a mouse instead of a touch-screen on a tablet or notebook or phone - and I want it to look like a desktop screen with pull-down/up menus (not some hybrid thingy with icons). I found what I wanted with Linux Mint w/MATE desktop. Only a few places where other OS's like Windows have a real advantage, and for me that is due to lack of specific (usually commercial) software written for it. Last night I finally was able to solve all my known VirtualBox issues (just learning to configure it how I want) and now I am able to run good old Windows XP inside of Linux, for those softwares where nothing else will do. When I need to go into full-on NERD mode, I do still know how to open a terminal in Linux and type the commands - but I almost always have to look those up!!

Last edited by Lesmyer; 01-04-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 AM

error_401 is an unknown quantity at this point

MINT is nice. Tried it on several computers but normally reverted to my DEBIAN with KDE-Desktop.

I like to work the same way you do. Desktop, Mouse or Touchpad, I have all my programs with menus enabled even on the rare Windows. That's why I liked XP.

Got a Surface for work with the usual stupid Win problems. Not connecting to the WiFi hanging up on me after several hybernation cycles and such. I had OpenOffice installed instead of the MSOffice crap. It drives me nuts with the icon bands on top. All the stuff always seems to float while a good old menu I know exactly where to get my tool.

I'm setting up a lot of laptops lately for friends and their parents. Old folks love Linux it always looks the same, doesn't throw stupid questions or even worse ads at them and it doesn't care if it has been hybernated for months.

I have some laptops like my old ACER AspireOne with a USB to Serial connector for diagnostic purposes with dualboot Windows XP and Debian 8.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 PM

blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

The most I've played with Linux is when I ran Mint on my Dell mini netbook for a while as a daily driver and livingroom Kodi streaming device for a while. I then went to a Raspberry Pi for the Kodi box (which the underlying OS was ironically also was based on Linux), THEN moved to a full slim Dell desktop for Kodi and home media server with one 1TB spinner in it and the OS (Windows 7) running on a small 256gb SSD.

I repurposed the Raspberry Pi for what's called Octoprint, self contained server for my 3D printer