Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Pettyfog's Rep Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:47 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Cool Pettyfog's Rep Review

someone else on here complained the other day that they got neg-repped for no apparent reason.

I cant say that.. I got two red marks in the last few days because I hurt people's feelings by responding to a request for opinion.

I wont say what the issues were but here's one comment in the neg:
i dont know why you're trying to put me down for my choice of options
Well... the thing is I wasnt putting him down for the choice of options I was commenting on the options themselves. IMO they suck! But that's just MY OPINION. Everyone on here posts their opinion. That's what it's for ... and if you dont want your choices criticized dont post a 'What do you think?' thread.

Another:
He makes people feel as though they are worthless because they do not know what something does/or is.
In that case The OP posted a 'what is this?' and described something he saw under the hood.
I responded that if he just took a little time he could follow the thing and describe where it went and what it connected to.

And I plainly said that I was often guilty of the same thing.. that tracing it out or personal investigation would sometimes take less time than to type it out.

That didnt matter apparently.. the repper was already offended. Didnt care I pointed out it was human nature.
Now I dont care too much about the neg-rep. What bothers me is what it tells me about the person giving it.
This is a forum for community self help but for our cars not our psyche's. If you are easily offended maybe you should spend more time on Facebook seeking peer gratification and approval and less time here

Again.. I'm approaching 'elderly' and I'm on here to exercise my cognitive and logical abilities and try to help out people with problems that I might know about or know how to research. I have a lot of experience in that.
It's good for me and if you do a search on posts by me, you'll see I go to a lot more effort than just shooting from the hip. And I'm here to learn.
Everyday I learn something and the more I research for someone else the more I learn for my own benefit.
I'll screw up and miss-read and be absolutely wrong sometimes. When I am I'll admit it.

But I'm not going to apologize for what I know and that I dont have time to wipe someone's nose or construct replies so as not to ***** self esteem.

Dont want my opinion? Just say.. 'except for pettyfog'.
But I enjoy cracking wise and enjoy finding solutions.. at one time I made a very good living at it. Paid well by people who overlooked my sometimes abrasive mannerisms.
And if you dont think I know who I am just research my handle.. I AM self aware!
Have been for a long time.

I aint going anywhere. Unless Kyle sends me off. Rest of you can go fish...neg repping me aint gonna do it. I'll just consider the sensitive nature of the neg-repper's character. And chuckle.

so there!

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to get that. I get the same thing because of how blunt I often am. I simply don't have the time to sugar coat things. Nor do I have the time to repeat what I *KNOW* I have already stated in other posts. I expect members to take the information I have given them, be it the knowledge that the information they seek is out there and/or the keywords they need to find it, and do something with it. If they don't, there are plenty more people out there that do.

But, I don't really see a reason for justifying what you do because someone felt slighted by your response. It isn't worth it IMO.

And trust me, I'm not going to ask you to go anywhere! You're doing a fine job of answering people's questions with a straight up logical approach. Takes some of the load off me! +rep for you!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

If you ask for someone's opinion you should expect to get it. If you are going to be upset because it doesn't reflect your own then you shouldn't ask in the first place.

You guys haven't offended me yet but I do more reading than posting!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Thx Kyle but I already knew that or I wouldn't have walked out on that plank. I knew it by the big picture of give and take on here.
And I didnt post that because I was offended by the neg rep. Rather it just annoys me. And frankly sometimes I enjoy the hell out of being an irritant.

I did it so maybe some folks will look in the mirror before they complain about how people respond.

Dorothy Parker, the queen of cynical wit, was once challenged - by one of those NY society belles you see in old 1930's movies- to use the word horticulture in a comment on general society, she immediately responded:

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

so if you guys think i wrote that just for my own esteem purposes.. maybe a little, I AM human.. but maybe some should read it again till they get my drift. Then just suck it up.

Added: Okay now stop with the Pos-Rep, already! I'm suitably soothed but that's not the point!

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-17-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I *do* know & understand completely why you wrote it. I've often thought of doing the same thing, but don't typically have the time to "get things off my chest" with everything else outside of this place that I am responsible for. Of late, the forum has taken a back seat to real life. With coaching my son's football team, the fire department, home life, and work, I have a very full plate. Now that football is over with, I'm a bit more free, but I have been given expanded responsibilities at work & the FD that have filled the void of late...

I do have a week & a half of vacation starting tomorrow though! Tree stand here I come!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I *do* know & understand completely why you wrote it. I've often thought of doing the same thing, but don't typically have the time to "get things off my chest" with everything else outside of this place that I am responsible for. Of late, the forum has taken a back seat to real life. With coaching my son's football team, the fire department, home life, and work, I have a very full plate. Now that football is over with, I'm a bit more free, but I have been given expanded responsibilities at work & the FD that have filled the void of late...

I do have a week & a half of vacation starting tomorrow though! Tree stand here I come!
Huntin, my type of vacation!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Great post. I'll agree you're about as abrasive as 80 grit sometimes, but ya know what, welcome to the real world. I know I get on peoples nerves sometimes....(more in person than here) but everyone gets on everyones nerves from time to time.

And quite honestly if you take offense to something that was said on the internet then you shouldn't be on it because there's all manner of people out there and on here. You'll always run into someone who rubs you the wrong way at some time or another no matter where you are. Brush it off and suck it up. That's how I look at it.