Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Thinking of Going Back to School

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking of Going Back to School

Hey Guys. I just finished school for Police Foundations and want a few opinions.

I don't think that law enforcement is the right step for me right now and I was thinking of going back to school. I want to do something in the automotive industry. My uncle owns and brake and alignment shop, so theres a good chance he would let me take it over. Whats the best step for doing something like that? Apprenticeship? Schooling first?

I was also thinking body work. That would be more of an apprenticeship and I don't really have the time for that at the moment. What can I take in school that would help me in either one of those fields?

I was looking through a Georgian College "catalog" and everything is so wordy now that I don't even know what to look for.

Just looking for some opinions to help me out!

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Somebody once said if you do what you love; you'll never work another day in your life. Is automotive your passion or hobby? If it's your passion then go for it and go to a good school or program like some of the schools here in the states like wyotech where they can teach and cover everything. Talk to your uncle and ask him. The worst thing that you could do is nothing.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Once you go Law Enforcement, you won't go back!!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

What would you do if you had $1 million? (and the answer is not two chicks at the same time ), but if you would fix up old cars, be a mechanic, if you would cut hair then cut hair????

But if you are serious about it, look for the local shops and see what they recommend you do? ASCE certified? etc.... Goodluck

Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
BF Veteran

What would you do if you had $1 million? (and the answer is not two chicks at the same time ), but if you would fix up old cars, be a mechanic, if you would cut hair then cut hair????

But if you are serious about it, look for the local shops and see what they recommend you do? ASCE certified? etc.... Goodluck

Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks guys, I'm young and love what I've done so far with cars (not tons, but a little). As okvortec said, You don't go back. And thats what I'm scared of. I have all the time in the world to decide so I will think some more and ask around!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Thanks guys, I'm young and love what I've done so far with cars (not tons, but a little). As okvortec said, You don't go back. And thats what I'm scared of. I have all the time in the world to decide so I will think some more and ask around!
I am 21 years young... I have spent 3 years in College and will have a nice bill of somewheres around 30kish.... for a 130kish college education....

Now during my Second year, I started to have second thoughts on my major, and switched in time to make sure my bill doesn't exceed that, now I switched in time, just ask yourself is it REALLY what you want? Will you NOT REGRET it?

I do not regret switching at all... Although I loved Mechanical Engineering, it was very demanding, with the only reason I was interested was Automotive, which is just a niche of the whole thing.

Choosing Civil was the best choice, and plus I get to do things such as bridge design, road design, and water flow... These things will not change no matter what. Currently I am learning about Storm Sewer Design and Waste Water Treatment Plants, and honestly, I can't understand why, but I love it....

If you feel this with the way you are going right now... then by all means continue... but just be sure to think about EVERYTHING... Pro's Con's

and then.....

Ask yourself this....

Will I still have fun with my blazer?

I did, and being a mechanical engineer means more time in the office, but if I get on with a decent company that does field work... My blazer will be my office on the weekdays, and my first child on the weekends

Goodluck.... And before you decide, take the whole weekend on it....

Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM

Wow wlorton, Thats real good advice! I knew it would take time and to really know that I love doing this. I've got a few projects to do on the Jimmy that are outside of my norm, so I guess those will play a big part! I have subscriptions to a few car magazines and no matter how many times I read one issue, I always find something new and interesting. And iits exactly like you said,
These things will not change no matter what.
Well I have a gut feeling the motor vehicle isn't changing any time soon. So a few run on batteries and different types of "fuel", the concept is still there!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Wow wlorton, Thats real good advice! I knew it would take time and to really know that I love doing this. I've got a few projects to do on the Jimmy that are outside of my norm, so I guess those will play a big part! I have subscriptions to a few car magazines and no matter how many times I read one issue, I always find something new and interesting. And iits exactly like you said, Well I have a gut feeling the motor vehicle isn't changing any time soon. So a few run on batteries and different types of "fuel", the concept is still there!
Well no problem, I just offer what I would like to hear/be offered...

Goodluck man!