The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Wasted money.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road
Default Wasted money.

Car companies spend mucho bucks on advertising. GM has pulled some real stinker ads out of the hat lately. I think Chevy got an ear full when they had all the salesmen in an ad picking on the sales manager because he was old. I'm older than that guy and that sure made me want to go in there.

Toyota really pulled a clinker when they were running a series of ads where a "coach" was recruiting young men to Toyota. This was the same time as the Sandusky pedophilia trial where a "coach" was molesting young men. That one dawned on me and got me to paying attention when the ad ran right after a news story on the trial.

Toyota has one now that I've not figured out. Something about dad and the '84 Toyota. Why spend all that money when people can't understand what's said?

I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Auh heck old grouch the gettins were just gettin going I want more cause I did hear enough and we want to hear more cause we like it.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Auh heck old grouch the gettins were just gettin going I want more cause I did hear enough and we want to hear more cause we like it.

As a charter member of "Ye Olde Phartes Club", I could go on and on. I worked in advertising back in the mid 70's (I made good money but decided I'd rather like myself) and some of the advertising is a waste of money. Customers with money to spend are forgotten in the drive to be "hip" and with it. The worst offenders are based in California. The current trend is to drop parts of words. In California, this isn't a problem. The rest of the country has people going "Huh?".

Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM

I used to know some people that were members of that Old Phartes club you mention.I was related to them by marrige.Now they are in the old old phartes club LOL.Im getting up there kinda in the younger old farts club.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Really, though, the ads are working. It's got us talking about them, doesn't it? We just gave Toyota and GM some free "air time" on the forum here. There seems to have been a shift from trying to give information about the product, to just airing something people will talk about the next day around the water cooler.

The only thing worse than getting talked bad about is not getting talked about at all.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Really, though, the ads are working. It's got us talking about them, doesn't it? We just gave Toyota and GM some free "air time" on the forum here. There seems to have been a shift from trying to give information about the product, to just airing something people will talk about the next day around the water cooler.

The only thing worse than getting talked bad about is not getting talked about at all.

Onlyto a point. When you advertise, you want people talking about the product. This puts the product name in their head so they may or may not think about it conciously but their choice will be influenced. If people talk about how bad the ad is, nobody thinks about the product.

My first lessons in sales were selling food. I didn't ask IF you wanted dessert, I asked what kind of pie you would like. Of the people asked, half would say none and the other half would ask what I had. I would tell them and half of those people would buy a piece of pie. (Higher profit margin there too.) If they ordered something like apple or pecan pie, I'd ask if they wanted one scoop or two of ice cream. There again, half would pass vut the other half would order ice cream. The fellow I worked for retired fairly well off selling hamburgers. His burgers actually tasted good too.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Its just matter of how your sales pitch is worded wether people buy into it or not.