Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Wireless Bridges

Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Wireless Bridges

In the other thread, there was mention of a wireless bridge, and just to inform everyone, I can let everyone know "wireless" options....

The first one is a wireless gaming adapter (which sometimes is expensive)

The second is a wireless bridge.

The third is a PLC adapter.

A wireless bridge is a secondary router that extends the wireless network and allows a downstreaming of information from the current wireless network to the devices connected to it.

An example would be to buy two Linksys Routers that are bridge compatible. Each manufacturer has a different slang for this, but any guy you talk to at best buy who is worth his salt should be able to assist. Now, one router is connected to the modem from your ISP (internet service provider), and the second router is connected to the device you wish to make wireless. Now some routers will require you to change the settings, and again these vary per manufacturer. I DO RECOMMEND you purchase the same brand bridge as router.

A PLC adapter is a newer idea, but much more expensive than the other two options. Basically the modem will plug into one PLC adapter that then plugs into an electrical outlet. A second PLC adapter is connected to your device that you want to make wireless and then a second outlet. One thing to note is that you need to have both PLC adapters on the same circuit, otherwise you will run into problems.

Ratings:

Ease of use (most to least)
Gaming adapter
Bridge
PLC adapter

Cost (least to most)
Bridge
Gaming Adapter
PLC adapter

Personally I recommend a wireless bridge as it will expand the current coverage of your network BUT if they are too close you will cause a slight interference and could slow the network, ie apartments dont need a second router...

Hopefully this clears up a bit....

Old 10-16-2010, 04:23 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

The type of hardware depends on the need honestly.

If your current wireless setup doesn't reach far enough, get a repeater/range extender.

If you have two networks seperated by distance, use a wireless bridge.

PLC isn't even wireless so I'm not sure why the OP mentioned it. Basically it allows network communication over existing household power lines.

Gaming adapters are generally overpriced bridges. You'd be better off buying a wireless router with bridge capability and using that.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:00 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by R2P
PLC isn't even wireless so I'm not sure why the OP mentioned it. Basically it allows network communication over existing household power lines.
Yes, but I am talking about "wireless", which you need to not run more wires, you are using existing.....

Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Nemo1991 is on a distinguished road

thanks for puttin this up i might have to do this!