New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1999 Chevy Blazer Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 01:31 PM
bkluver is on a distinguished road
Question 1999 Chevy Blazer Door Lock

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer and the front passenger door will not lock. It won't lock with the button that locks all doors, it won't lock if you manually push the door lock down, and it won't lock with the key from the outside.
Help!

Old 03-12-2022, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bkluver
I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer and the front passenger door will not lock. It won't lock with the button that locks all doors, it won't lock if you manually push the door lock down, and it won't lock with the key from the outside.
Help!
Do you hear anything from the lock when you use the door or fob button?

Old 03-12-2022, 03:50 PM
bkluver is on a distinguished road

christine_208;740982. Do you hear anything from the lock when you use the door or fob button?

Christine,
My FOB quit working many years ago and could not be fixed. I never bought a new one.
When I use the door button from the driver's side it wasn't locking but I just hear the clicking when you push the button.
I just went out to check that and now the darned thing did lock.
I guess I still want to know what could be going wrong so I can be prepared to fix it if it stops locking again.
My driver's door will not lock using the button inside. I either have to push down the manual lock or lock it with the key.
Thank you!

Old 03-13-2022, 12:38 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bkluver
christine_208;740982. Do you hear anything from the lock when you use the door or fob button?

Christine,
My FOB quit working many years ago and could not be fixed. I never bought a new one.
When I use the door button from the driver's side it wasn't locking but I just hear the clicking when you push the button.
I just went out to check that and now the darned thing did lock.
I guess I still want to know what could be going wrong so I can be prepared to fix it if it stops locking again.
My driver's door will not lock using the button inside. I either have to push down the manual lock or lock it with the key.
Thank you!
Hmm. Have you tried spraying some WD40 into the mechanism?

When you say you heard "clicking" was it as if it was coming from the vicinity of the door lock itself? That is where the solenoid is located for the locking mechanism

I unfortunately ended up learning a lot about the driver's side door look last fall.

For me, the symptom was that it would not lock electrically only manually.

I replaced the lock mechanism which is a bitch of a job. Long-story, short, it turned out to be a broken wire to it in the door jam. Ugh.

But what I learned is that there are many interconnected linkages in the door that connect the outside door handle, the inside door handle, and the inside door lock slider to the the door lock itself that is mounted edge of the door. If you cannot lock it manually, one of these linkages is perhaps bent or has come loose.

I've attached a scan from my 99 service manual and from when I had the old lock mechanism removed in case they may help.

If you can avoid having to remove the lock mechanism it self, do so. I'd suggest taking the door panel off and doing an inspection to see how things are currently working and what might have slipped.

Driver's side lock mechanism removed from my truck showing correct connections to it of two of the linkages. This image has the bottom of the door lock mechanism at the top and the face that is at the door outer door wall that engages the striker is on the left.
  • The rod that is connected to the actuator on the left is the one that locks the mechanism either with the key, inside slider, or the solenoid. Pushing up (relative to the picture) locks the mechanism.
  • The connector at the very top with no link to it is also locks the mechanism. I believe this is the one that connects to the inside door lock slider. In this picture it is in the locked position with the unlocked position being when it is to the right of were it is now.
  • The rod that is connected to the actuator on the right is the one that opens the door if the mechanism is unlocked. it is pushed upward in this picture to open the door. I believe this is connected to the outside door handle so that when you pull up on it, it pushes down on the linkage arm.
  • Out of view but part of the arc shaped piece of metal at the upper, right hand corner of the mechanism is where a link connects that opens the lock. I believe this goes to the inside door handle. The door is opened by it being rotated counter-clockwise by a linkage to it at the 6 o'clock position.

Attached Files