New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Blazers - 1996 4D 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:29 PM
iMav is on a distinguished road
Default New to Blazers - 1996 4D 4x4

Literally just bought this tonight. Drove it an hour home and it drove well. It has a craptastic radio install that I will have to clean up. Has 120k miles and is relatively clean inside and out. Needed something for around town, winter driving.

Looking forward to reading about these vehicles...

Old 09-30-2018, 09:56 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aboard. That's not much mileage for a 96 and I can't say as I've seen that same scheme before. Looks to be modified a little.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome. This is the place to be to keep your Blazer on the road. They are very capable vehicles.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:54 AM
iMav is on a distinguished road

The previous owner had the vehicle for 4 or 5 years. Said he didn't have anything of note done to it mechanically. I am curious as to what, potential, deferred maintenance I may be looking at. (I don't really have any maintenance records for the vehicle.)

Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Nice Looking blazer you got. I love the sun visor you got on the windshield. That's the first I've seen that side decal.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iMav
The previous owner had the vehicle for 4 or 5 years. Said he didn't have anything of note done to it mechanically. I am curious as to what, potential, deferred maintenance I may be looking at. (I don't really have any maintenance records for the vehicle.)
Sounds like you would be well served to look at the service interval list from the owners manual and start from scratch with all new fluids along with an inspection of all of the parts and systems with which Blazers are known for having issues. There are threads on the common issues with Blazers.

The one caveat about the fluid refreshes is perhaps to not do the automatic transmission as people will argue that can dissolve crud that is allowing otherwise worn out clutch-plates work a bit longer. You definitely should inspect the fluid in the transmission for color and smell to get a feel for its condition.

As for Blazer issues, here are the big ones that come to my mind:
  • Wrong coolant used that was not compatible with the original forumlation for the OEM Dexcool. This would form a brown sludge when mixed with the traditional green stuff. Some new antifreeze/coolants don't have this problem, including Dexcool ones.
  • Leaky remote oil filter/cooler lines. I would add the gaskets/o-ring for the adapter for the hoses to the block can leak.
  • Lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets that can catastrophically dump coolant into the inner workers of the motor ruining the bearings.
  • Ball joints that are worn.
Welcome to the family!

Old 10-01-2018, 12:29 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iMav
Literally just bought this tonight. Drove it an hour home and it drove well. It has a craptastic radio install that I will have to clean up. Has 120k miles and is relatively clean inside and out. Needed something for around town, winter driving.

Looking forward to reading about these vehicles...

Appears to have been well taken care of for a 22 year old vehicle. Nice color scheme and unique graphics. Welcome to the forum. If you are not yet a mechanic, you soon will be. There is much help to be found here. Dig in!!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Nice ride.