New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

RPM oscillates up and down since engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Starting Member
lrknman is on a distinguished road
Default RPM oscillates up and down since engine swap

I just swapped a new HT 3.4 from GM performance and took out a 2.8, in my 1991 S10. The RPM goes up and then down every five seconds, or so. It seems to settle down a little when the engine warms up. I've only put about 20 miles on it since the swap. Does the computer take longer than that to recalibrate? I changed the injectors to larger ones and everything seems to being going right, but the change in RPMs. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A hunting idle could be caused by a sticking IAC valve. Did you reuse the throttle body from the old motor? If so, did you rebuild it or clean it before reinstalling it?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
lrknman is on a distinguished road
Default Used ole throttle body

I used the old throttle body. It does seems to do much better when it warms up to 190 or so. The throttle body was cleaned, but maybe not perfect. The injectors were used . Could they be crudded up?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How does it run while you are cruising down the road? Do you still feel a bit of a surge?

If it is just while at idle and it gets better once it warms up, it really sounds like it is a problem with the IAC valve being gummed up & sticking when it tries to make small adjustments to the idle speed.