Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Banks Turbo and Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010 | 08:20 PM
|
mafiaboy01 is on a distinguished road
Default Banks Turbo and Stock Exhaust

Hi, I purchased a used banks turbo kit for my 87 Chevy Blazer with a 6.2L Diesel

It's old and rusted but it still in good shape. I have to change the gasket between the two half's of the turbo and some rust removal.

But my main concern is that the banks kit came with a 3 inch exhaust and their muffler.

This however was not included in my purchase.

Now I am wondering if it would be ok to connect the 2 inch stock exhaust into the turbo?

If not was is my cheapest alternative.

Old 10-03-2010 | 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I am not necessarily the best source, but being that you are using air from a 2inch exhaust to run the turbo shouldnt make too much of a difference, because it is exhaust driven.... But I could be completely missing the idea..... I know that a smaller pipe will cause more friction/size than a larger one.......

Old 10-03-2010 | 08:39 PM
|

My only concern is that it would cause a lot of back pressure as its not as easy flowing as the original banks exhaust is.

I just don't want to damage the turbo with all the back pressure.

Old 10-03-2010 | 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mafiaboy01
My only concern is that it would cause a lot of back pressure as its not as easy flowing as the original banks exhaust is.

I just don't want to damage the turbo with all the back pressure.
Don't Quote me, but the backpressure drives the turbo, and you put a blow off valve on the other side because the pressure on the air intake side can damage the engine.... Turbos are made to be thrown pressure at ... I believe...

Old 10-04-2010 | 06:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't run a 2" pipe where the original was 3". You want to keep restriction before the turbo to a minimum. I would recommend you have a 3" pipe made up to run to the turbo.

Old 10-04-2010 | 07:20 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

You can run the stock exhaust with the kit, however you won't realize it's full potential until you upgrade the exhaust. And you dont need a blow off valve because diesels do not have a throttle plate. Blow off valves are used on gasoline engines where you want to keep the turbo rpm's up. I had one on my Conquest which had a turbo on it.

Old 10-04-2010 | 10:52 AM
|

Probably just gonna hook it up like this for now then switch it when i hey some more money. I was also thinking of taking out the muffler and that should give enough flow.