Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

blazer's off-road ability

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Blazer man1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blazer's off-road ability

Hey guys, i was jsut wondering what kind of off-road ability a stock blazer has. I know that i have been through some nasty snow and was very impressed! howevor i have not been through any mud and was just wondering how well they fair. i would suspect pretty well, since so many off you all have been off road. do they compare to jeeps?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: blazer's off-road ability

I don't do off roading trips just to offroad, but my Bravada did very well getting out to my tree stands, crossing small creeks, as well as getting back to where I shot my deer two years ago. Worked quite well! My Rainier gets through the same stuff. Its a bit better in the mud though with the wider tires and better ground clearance (stock for stock).

Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Starting Member
fla_blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

nothing compares to a blazer jeeps are nuttin but heeps.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I know blazers are good offroad, they have very even weight distribution that helps considerably with 4wd.

However...regarding jeeps:

ORIGINAL: fla_blazer4x4
jeeps are nuttin but heeps.
Then why is a SFA swap so amazing with the blazer community? Jeeps already have em...and the Dana 30s and 60s we love? Jeeps. Jeeps are tried and proven offroad, but they have their drawbacks. Mostly for me it's interior comfort, and on-road manners are the low points of a jeep. Also, everyone you see out on the trails has a jeep, when you beat em up a trail in a Blazer, the looks on their faces are priceless

As for your question though, Blazers need a little bit of modification to compare to a jeep out of the box. But I feel with a minor lift to clear some bigger/better tires, they'll take a jeep on most trails

Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Agreed with what has been said above. I actually went out on a stock truck run last year with a group of 4x4's from my school. I ended up having the most stock truck and made it through the same stuff and more without getting stuck, the guys in the jeeps and lifted fullsize trucks were impressed with the abilities of the stock blazer with worn highway allseasons. Now I have slightly larger BFG AT's and have yet to put it to the test off road, but once the snow melts I will be out there trying it out.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Does great off-road.

Stay away from deep water.

Don't go any deeper than the bumper.

Trust me.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Question on that:

I was reading in a Land Rover hand book for offroad driving (quite a good read if anyones interested) and it said whenever attempting a water crossing you have to keep moving and at a constant speed. Something about how the water flows around and under the truck, and the air in the engine bay remains relatively calm, but once you stop or slow down too much the water backs up and you flood. It also mentioned that water entrys are the most dangerous part (makes sense...the nose dives mostly). Any thought's on the technique for a deep water crossing?

I just avoid the ponds myself, but this is good knowledge to have!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I did good until I found a hole in the river, and the water was suddently over the drivers corner of my hood...

On the plus side, as long as you don't stop, you don't get water inside...

At least, I didn't.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

ORIGINAL: fla_blazer4x4

nothing compares to a blazer jeeps are nuttin but heeps.
My Jeep would kill my blazer off road.... but the blazer does extremely well for a 4 door suv..lol I love my blazer...

Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved my jeep, but like previously stated I hated driving it on the road. Very unstable and if you think that we get bad gas mileage, then take a long trip in a wrangler on 32s.

Quick Reply: blazer's off-road ability