Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

blazer's off-road ability

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: blazer's off-road ability

H1s were military spec. I would put them in a class of their own. Also remember AM General produced the H1s (they were pretty terrible to actually ride in if you were on any sort of flat/even terrain ), where as Chevy took over the H2 and made a more civilized off roader.

I think I'd rather have a sand rail or a pre-runner than an H1 though, if we're going ultimate offroader

Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a full size blazer and it does pretty good in the mud even with my 4x4 broken. its just a little on the hefty side so if i stop im not going anywhere. but for sure stay away from deep holes. just look at my carpet for a reason haha

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I took my blazer 4wheeling this last weekend for the first time after lift and all. My step-dad's stock Jeep with like 31's kicked my butt. I didn't have enough articlulation so whatever tire was in the air was getting all the power. So I was going nowhere. Need to get a locker or something.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That's rough. I wanna regear to 4.10s and put in lockers...but word on the street is the aluminum front ends we have don't like lockers very much

Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Blazer man1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

did any blazers ever come stock with lockers? cause i know a lot of gm trucks came with them.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that lockers in the front really isn't a good iea anyway because especially in the front you need the one wheel to spin slower than the other for turning purposes. I would also love to do a 4.10 gear swap.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Unless you have a 5-speed, or a lucky ZR2 you can't use a locker, your front diff case will explode.

FYI, there's no way in heck a stock Blazer + better (factory sized!) tires + winch could do this.

I like my Blazer, but it just ain't gonna happen. I'd still try... But it ain't gonna happen

The two Wrangler Unlimited vehicles that completed this challenge were standard equipment Rubicon models. In addition to the standard equipment, both vehicles were fitted with Goodyear MT/R tires, electronic altitude measuring technology and winches.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

ive taken my stock blazer through some pretty rough stuff. ive had it in mud deeper than 7/8 of the tires. it was ridicilous, i did get stuck in the end when i lost momentum, but i made it almost through the entire mud trench. it was about 100 feet long.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:46 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

There's no doubt the Blazer does good in the mud

Stock height and stock sized tires... The Blazer just needs a real locker, then it'd be pretty damned close to the Jeeps performance...

However, you just can't get that kind of lift out of an IFS rig

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

yoy know they have had problems with those 4 dr wrangles? the fame starts to bend casue it wasnt designed apperently for the weight

Quick Reply: blazer's off-road ability