Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

blazer's off-road ability

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:14 PM
_97Jimmy_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: blazer's off-road ability

my roommate has a jeep, and ive driven it a few times, and just from that angle i find the jeep to have more of a 'sitting in a tin can' feel than a blazer, its seats get uncomfortable after 5 min, im a taller dude so i find it cramped. if im on a trail for the day, i dont want to be stuck in a sardin can in the boiling heat, plus the fact im extreamly freaked out about bears (living by the rockeys) so folding down the back seats is a big bonus for wimps such as myself (not to mention street driving, where a little breeze almost knockes you off the road when your going above 60k)

Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
TimH1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used mine extensivley on moderate off-road. I am usually on roads that vary from well graded forest roads to washed out cattle ranch trails. It doe's a very nice job.

Using stock wheels, you don't have too much clearand but skilled driving can get you through.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Jeepm@n is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

That's rough. I wanna regear to 4.10s and put in lockers...but word on the street is the aluminum front ends we have don't like lockers very much
I'm a very experienced off-roader. I own two Jeeps and have owned full-size and s-series blazers. If there was a front sway bar disconnect for the s- series and a stronger front differential I would have stuck with the s-series.There is just not enough flex in the suspension to keep all four tires on the ground.I love the motor's, interior's, and the fact you have a frame not a uni-body unlike my Cherokee. Stay away from the Grand Cherokee's for off-road unless you have the money to spend on them.I now have to buy my Fiancee' a s-series Blazer for a family vehicle as she does not like the room in either of my Cherokee's. Even the one with a 5" lift on 33's selectable locker's front and rear.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You can disconnect the front sway bar fairly easy... the ZR2 guys do it a lot...

And I have an iron front diff... any 2nd gen 5 speed has one. More than strong enough for a locker...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

But how many 5 speeds are out there compared to automatics? I still want your front axle..

Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Quite a bit, actually

There's a few places that sometimes carry them... Dealership has them as well...

And you don't want the rear axle? lol 8.5" baby!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Beginning Member
drmrman is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to say that STOCK blazers do quiet well! I have a friend who had a completely stock suspension 4dr blazer with 30" MT's and it was keeping up with george (Black lifted blazer *PS I took that pic*) and fully lifted full sized trucks when we went to RC. I was impressed!

And about the stock lockers... My truck came with the G80 code. So it came stock with the LSD! no "One wheelie peelies" for me! HAHA!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Yea you're lucky you have that rear. I should of done that **** when I took my rearend apart.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member
drmrman is an unknown quantity at this point

Def a good idea!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
pbishop is an unknown quantity at this point

Better yet, ILTIS, old canadian military jeep. Now that is something worth off-roading with. Not as big as an H1, it can go anywhere. When I say anywhere, i mean anywhere. Trust me, those things are amazing if you dont tip over, but that depends on who's driving and wether or not he decides to jump a snow bank going 60 km/h. But thats another story.

Quick Reply: blazer's off-road ability